Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the 2014 NEC we will be required to have GFCI protection for dishwashers and garbage disposals in a dwelling unit. These GFCI receptacles will need to be readily accessible. We now typically install two receptacles below the sink area for the disposal and dishwasher. I assume we can not install the Gfci receptacles below the sink area as they wouldn't be readily accessible? So, where's the next best place to install them? Dead front gfci's by the panel? Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
At a IAEI code seminar last month, our inspectors stated that in the sink cabinet WAS considered "readily accessible". However, a typical receptacle with a piece of furniture in front of it, was not.

·
Banned
15,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At a IAEI code seminar last month, our inspectors stated that in the sink cabinet WAS considered "readily accessible". However, a typical receptacle with a piece of furniture in front of it, was not.
Good point. I'll need to see how the state will interpret it.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,561 Posts
I would install a dead front gfci under the sink and perhaps use it as the disconnect

Reactions: leland

·
Jesus Scott
9,382 Posts
At a IAEI code seminar last month, our inspectors stated that in the sink cabinet WAS considered "readily accessible".
That's the exact opposite of what their code Analysis of changes book says.

The purpose of a GFCI receptacle being readily accessible is to make testing as easy as possible. A GFCI buried in a kitchen sink base is, IMO, not readily accessible.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,561 Posts

The purpose of a GFCI receptacle being readily accessible is to make testing as easy as possible. A GFCI buried in a kitchen sink base is, IMO, not readily accessible.
If the gfci is up high and close to the door I don't see an issue

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
Add another gang to a box at the ctop and install a deadfront GFCI there. Problem solved.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,561 Posts
It would have to be labeled ON and OFF to serve as the disconnect. I think they are available that way but not sure.

Good Point. I used P&S

Reactions: BBQ

·
Registered
2,923 Posts

Which version of the book are you talking about? 2011 or 14? This was a 2011 Code Change class, when the requirement of readily accessible was first required. Maybe the interpretation changed over the 3 years.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,561 Posts
Which version of the book are you talking about? 2011 or 14? This was a 2011 Code Change class, when the requirement of readily accessible was first required. Maybe the interpretation changed over the 3 years.
The 2014 has changed but the 2011 states no removal of obstacles. Thus if the gfci is in the back and you have to move soaps, boxes etc to get to it then it would not be readily accesible

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,561 Posts
I realize that, but I'm talking about the requirement for GFI's to be readily accessible.
I realized that so I deleted my post but you got yours in before I could finish. :)

I correctly responded above

Reactions: Deep Cover

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I'm just stating what was relayed as the IEAI's interpretation.

But, for argument's sake, if that is the case, then if an inspector comes in for a final kitchen inspection and there is a coffee maker in front of a GFI, the job has to be failed.

Likewise, if the dish/disposal GFI was in the sink base with nothing else in it, it would be legal. It's silly IMO.

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
I'm just stating what was relayed as the IEAI's interpretation.

But, for argument's sake, if that is the case, then if an inspector comes in for a final kitchen inspection and there is a coffee maker in front of a GFI, the job has to be failed.

Likewise, if the dish/disposal GFI was in the sink base with nothing else in it, it would be legal. It's silly IMO.
You can call it silly as you want but ultimatly it is up to the inspector.

By the way, electrical equipment such as devices mounted above counters are already an NEC violation. 110.26 :jester:

1 - 20 of 106 Posts