Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at a job today. Customer needs a U&O. Electrical inspector red tagged.

Customer showed me all receptacles that the inspector wanted GFCI protected. 3 were inside of the kitchen area, but the other 7 were outside of, in the prep area and counter area where the customers are waited on.

This is the same inspector who turned me down on a residential job in which I protected the fridge receptacle from a GFCI receptacle.

Is there another code article that would require me to install GFCI protection outside of the kitchen area of a Pizza place?

I hate pissing in an inspectors cheerios, but this guy may be reading the code wrong.

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its the inspectors call on what the area is.
I know. I was going to ask where does the kitchen stop and other areas begin.

It seems the kitchen in this place is the whole area behind the counter for this EI.

I am bidding to GFCI all of the receps. I was just curious since I do mainly residential.

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, and the fire marshall got the customer for not having exterior emergency lights. 150$ a pop in lighting. looks like he will need 3.

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts

It seems the kitchen in this place is the whole area behind the counter for this EI.

I am bidding to GFCI all of the receps. I was just curious since I do mainly residential.
Don't forget they have to be accessible, they can't be behind the kitchen equipment.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Don't forget they have to be accessible, they can't be behind the kitchen equipment.
Really?!!? Ive done a couple of commercial kitchens and ive haven't had an inspector say anything about the GFI being behind kitchen equipment.

Regardless of the definition on 'readily accessible', this seems kind of rediculous. Especially if this restraunt is not the original owner, and they just threw all their equipment in wherever it would fit.

Are you saying this from the code book definition of 'readily accessible', or is this something that you have run into with inspectors?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
210.8 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel. Ground-fault circuit-interruption for personnel shall be provided as required in 210.8(A) through (C). The ground-fault circuit-interrupter shall be installed in a
readily accessible location.

·
Professional Nit Picker
2,322 Posts

210.8 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel.
Ground-fault circuit-interruption for personnel shall be provided as required in 210.8(A) through (C). The ground-fault circuit-interrupter shall be installed in a readily accessible location.

Accessible, Readily (Readily Accessible).

Capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to climb over or remove obstacles or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth.

If the equipment is on wheels it shouldn't be a big deal

·
Professional Nit Picker
2,322 Posts
I looked at a job today. Customer needs a U&O. Electrical inspector red tagged.

I hate pissing in an inspectors cheerios, but this guy may be reading the code wrong.
That dude needs to work on his writing ! I would be ashamed to write an inspection result that sloppy

·
Registered
114 Posts
210.8 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel.
Ground-fault circuit-interruption for personnel shall be provided as required in 210.8(A) through (C). The ground-fault circuit-interrupter shall be installed in a readily accessible location.

Accessible, Readily (Readily Accessible).

Capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to climb over or remove obstacles or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth.

If the equipment is on wheels it shouldn't be a big deal
Wheels or not, it would have to be removed.

BTW, 2014 will add "or tools" to that definition.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts

I would agree with the inspector. Behind the counter in a pizza shop is a place I would expect food to be prepaired. No different then behind a bar. You could reasonably expect a blender or fridge or mixer etc to be plugged in that area and it should be gfi protected.

I know there is some drama surrounding a gfi behind a fridge but if it has wheels I wouldn't hesitate to put it behind there if not I would load protect it from another gfi or deadfront as close as I can still being accessible.

I like to keep gfis out of panels in commercial kitchens because it keeps employees out of the panel. Kitchen help has there own very special kind of stupid. It can also be cheaper and I prefer the gfi device as close to the equipment as possible.

·
The Accidental Welder
1,162 Posts
Kitchen help has there own very special kind of stupid.
So true!

Best one ever was when one guy decided to hose down the inside of the dimmer panel. :laughing:

Reactions: dspiffy

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
So true!

Best one ever was when one guy decided to hose down the inside of the dimmer panel. :laughing:
Dude I had the EXACT same thing happen TWICE in the SAME restaurant.

Reactions: dspiffy

·
The Accidental Welder
1,162 Posts
Dude I had the EXACT same thing happen TWICE in the SAME restaurant.
That's too f'n funny! :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
.....look at differently....he told the customer what he wants and they need....you are there to quote the job as written....you have the perfect bad guy here....here's the price...you get them out of trouble and gain a customer :thumbsup:..

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am starting this job in the morning. Figured 1/2 day to be out of there. Got to run 2 dedicated circuits. 1 20 amp, 1 30 amp as well.

Just me now, so I hope I can pull this off. Got 2 other jobs to do afterwards tomorrow.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts