Electrician Talk banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts
The NEC says they have to be READILY accessible. You can't have to move anything. Moving a stove and opening a door are 2 wildly different things.

Here's one: If you put a GFCI behind your washing machine, but it's above the highest part of the washing machine....is that allowed? Now then, if you put it behind the washing machine, but now it's lower than the top of the washing machine.....is THAT allowed?

In other words, at what point does readily accessible apply to a means of disconnect jproffer ?

This is where it gets a tad off OP, but the concern applies...

Washer machines, dishwashers, GD, various kitchen equipment ,etc

120,208,240, whatever....

GFCI or no GFCI...

If (and it's a big if) the serving OCPD's can be positioned out of the kitchen, but still in sight, there's a world of disco & lotto (because most of it will be lotto intolerant) to be saved

~CS~

Those are two different positions...what the NEC states and what your EI's opinion is.

The OP's EI's may have a different position on this....a GFCI device probably costs less than a GFCI OCPD ~ he would be well advised to confirm with his EI/AHJ.
I think the only one with a different opinion will be you.

I really don't understand what you are not getting about the requirement itself and once you read the ROP there can be no argument about it.

From the IAEI Analysis of Changes, NEC-2011 Part 1

Chapter Two – Wiring and Protection
210.8 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel.
New: 210.8(A) Dwelling Units. (Readily Accessible Locations)

New: 210.8(B) Other Than Dwelling Units. (Readily Accessible Locations)

A new requirement has been added at both 210.8(A) and (B) requiring all GFCI devices to be installed in a readily accessible location. Per manufacturer’s specifications, GFCIs are typically recommended to be tested on a monthly basis. When a GFCI device is installed behind such things as a refrigerator, the ability for someone, such as the homeowner, to test the device is greatly impaired. Installation of these devices in a readily accessible location will aid in this monthly testing process. However, on the other side of this coin, this could become an enforcement issue for the AHJ. When the AHJ typically inspects these GFCI devices on the electrical final, all these devices are typically readily accessible. The moment a bed, a dresser, or perhaps a copy machine or vending machine is placed in front of a GFCI receptacle, that receptacle just became not readily accessible (accessible, yes, but not readily accessible).
http://www.iaei.org/blogpost/890108/158723/Analysis-of-Changes-NEC-2011-Part-1

The 2011 change to readily accessible GFI's is going to take some getting used to. At the code class I recently attended, the sink base is considered readily accessible.

The problem with this code, IMO, is that readily accessible is dependent on so many things. Is that microwave cart in a homeowner's kitchen now failing my job? Is that microwave cart on wheels a violation? Shelving unit without a back? With a back?

There are other issues I would rather see addressed. Such as one garage GFI feeding all the outside receptacles. The way the code is going (mandating increased costs), I'm not sure I'd be too against requiring a GFI breaker or a point of use GFI device.

GFCI breaker= $35, GFCI 20A receptacle=$18

GFCI breaker asking only 30" x 36" accessibility

vs. moving, wheeling, whatever heavy fridges, freezers, etc

~CS~

So would you consider a coffee maker, toaster or maybe a blender blocking a GFCI on a counter just accessible?
That is what the code currently says.

No one has claimed it is perfect.
No one but yourself :
I think the only one with a different opinion will be you.

I really don't understand what you are not getting about the requirement itself and once you read the ROP there can be no argument about it.
:whistling2:

The items detailed in the IAEI...
The moment a bed, a dresser, or perhaps a copy machine or vending machine is placed in front of a GFCI receptacle, that receptacle just became not readily accessible (accessible, yes, but not readily accessible).
...are not specifically designed to be moved on regular intervals.

How does a door, elevator, or escalator differ from another piece of equipment with a set of wheels on it?
All are specifically designed to move regularly.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.