Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very strange problem. I have six GFCI outlets, each one on its own dedicated 20amp circuit in a 100amp sub panel. On a separate sub panel there are 21, 1000 watt HPS lights that trip the GFCI outlets on the other circuits. This happens even when nothing is plugged into the GFCI outlets.
Any Thoughts?
Thanks

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I have a very strange problem. I have six GFCI outlets, each one on its own dedicated 20amp circuit in a 100amp sub panel. On a separate sub panel there are 21, 1000 watt HPS lights that trip the GFCI outlets on the other circuits. This happens even when nothing is plugged into the GFCI outlets.
Any Thoughts?
Thanks
You have a bad ballast that is shorted to ground.

Welcome to the forum...:thumbup:

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Capacitive voltage is feeding back on circuit , the gfcis are reading this voltage in line as a surge thus tripping. Try installing a surge suppressor in sub panel.

Sent from my C5215 using electriciantalk.com mobile app

Reactions: bigb831

·
Registered
931 Posts
If each Gfci is on its own breaker I don't see how lights could make them trip from another sub panel - are the gfi outlets properly wired in their boxes to receive power on the line side ? And not load side.

Sent from my iPad using electriciantalk.com

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Are they 208 volts or 120? If 208 I think capacitors from one or more fixtures are spiking your voltage. You need to do a running voltage test at the gfci location while engaging lights to see what type of fluctuations exist with the voltage. Me thinks you are either getting a substantial spike or drop in voltage.

Sent from my C5215 using electriciantalk.com mobile app

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.