Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since dining room receptacles can be put on the small appliance branch circuit(s), Is there any problem with putting the GFI for that circuit in the dining room since it is closest to the panel? (I've never done or seen it done b4).

And...is a breakfast nook, very near the kitchen, considered dining or kitchen?

·
Registered
15,023 Posts
Xknob&Tube said:
Since dining room receptacles can be put on the small appliance branch circuit(s), Is there any problem with putting the GFI for that circuit in the dining room since it is closest to the panel? (I've never done or seen it done b4). And...is a breakfast nook, very near the kitchen, considered dining or kitchen?
You can put it there, but why? If the dinning room receptacle isn't counter served I'd put the GFCI in the kitchen. Realize the circuit needs to be act fault too. Also "can" isn't true, they "shall" be a twenty amp dedicated circuit that is or isn't part of a SABC. I would put breakfast nook in dinning(think eating).

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
Since dining room receptacles can be put on the small appliance branch circuit(s), Is there any problem with putting the GFI for that circuit in the dining room since it is closest to the panel? (I've never done or seen it done b4).
I do not believe there is anything in the NEC, in most cases, that states where the GFCI device needs to be placed. Only that GFCI protection is required.

And...is a breakfast nook, very near the kitchen, considered dining or kitchen?
(1) Receptacle Outlets Served. In the kitchen, pantry, breakfast room, dining room, or similar area of a dwelling unit, the two or more 20-ampere small-appliance branch circuits required by 210.11(C)(1) shall serve all wall and floor receptacle outlets covered by 210.52(A), all countertop outlets covered by 210.52(C), and receptacle outlets for refrigeration equipment.

IMO, and based on your description, it's neither in the dining room or kitchen

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I see no problem with it. You can put the kitchen on a GFCI breaker. And you can put AFCI receptacles wherever a standard receptacle would be, showing that either are accessible.

So AFCI breaker, to GFCI in dining seems to fit well within code. A combination AFCI/GFCI would work great on that too, if you are under an NEC cycle which requires AFCI protection for the dining room.

A breakfast nook is a breakfast nook. It can be on the SABC, if that's what you are asking. A good question would be, does the breakfast nook need AFCI protection under current NEC, in which I would say yes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I talked to my inspector and he said it was ok to put the gfi in the dining room but suggested putting it at the first kitchen receptacle on that circuit (duh, why didn't I think of that?). And yes, the nook is NOT the kitchen.

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Deep Cover said:
No, but by you labeling it a "breakfast nook", it would be required to be on a SABC.
What if he labeled if little harriets cereal corner? I like to call my bedroom the red snapper and clam corner but it's not getting a SABC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.