Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this humidifier to wire up.

Specs:
480V
30A
3 Phase

The panel this unit is fed from takes Square D EDB breakers. I cannot find, either by my own ignorance or other reasons, any information on EDB GFP 3 pole breakers.

Our Square D rep is out of town until Monday so I cannot ask him.

Do they not make these breakers in 3 Pole GFP? What other ways can I supply GFP protection if not by the breaker?

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
I work with edb breakers all the time. I've never seen one like what you're asking for. Most gfp starts at 1000 amps I think. Is there a power breaker upstream from your NQOD panel?

·
Registered
32,968 Posts
I have this humidifier to wire up.

Specs:
480V
30A
3 Phase

The panel this unit is fed from takes Square D EDB breakers. I cannot find, either by my own ignorance or other reasons, any information on EDB GFP 3 pole breakers.

Our Square D rep is out of town until Monday so I cannot ask him.

Do they not make these breakers in 3 Pole GFP? What other ways can I supply GFP protection if not by the breaker?
I'd have say off the top of my heat NO.

You could get a shunt trip CB and GFPE system.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the wording in the manual...

"This disconnecting switch should have leakage current protection. The max leakage current should be less than 30mA."

On the schematic inside the unit...

"The main switch in dashed is provided by end user and it should be with over-current overload and leakage current protections. The leakage current of trigger should be less than 30mA."

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I work with edb breakers all the time. I've never seen one like what you're asking for. Most gfp starts at 1000 amps I think. Is there a power breaker upstream from your NQOD panel?

This is 225A ML panel fed from the main switchgear and I-Line breaker. This spec was not given to us until now and this is sounding like something other than a quick extra.

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Deep Cover said:
This is 225A ML panel fed from the main switchgear and I-Line breaker. This spec was not given to us until now and this is sounding like something other than a quick extra.
I don't know a damn thing about breaker coordination or the such but I bet the power breaker before the 225 MLO has gfp. Maybe Brian or someone else smarter than can say whether it'd cover your humidifier

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know a damn thing about breaker coordination or the such but I bet the power breaker before the 225 MLO has gfp. Maybe Brian or someone else smarter than can say whether it'd cover your humidifier
I would hate to loose a 4000A service because something is wrong with a 30A humidifier. Money isn't usually a problem with this customer so I'd like to find another option. Maybe it's time to look into those industrial GFI's.

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Deep Cover said:
I would hate to loose a 4000A service because something is wrong with a 30A humidifier. Money isn't usually a problem with this customer so I'd like to find another option. Maybe it's time to look into those industrial GFI's.
Haha yeah good point. I heard those industrial gf units are spendy

·
Registered
148 Posts
Deep Cover said:
That looks promising, got a product number or a link? The picture is too small to get anything off of.

It's a Merlin gerin multi 9 series. We use these in our control panels for pipeline heat trace. We need Gfp for pipeline heat trace so we feed each circuit with a regular breaker and run it through one of these for the Gfp protection. Merlin gerin was bought out by Schneider so you should be able to get it from your regular square d rep.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's a Merlin gerin multi 9 series. We use these in our control panels for pipeline heat trace. We need Gfp for pipeline heat trace so we feed each circuit with a regular breaker and run it through one of these for the Gfp protection. Merlin gerin was bought out by Schneider so you should be able to get it from your regular square d rep.
Appreciate it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.