Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently work for a merit shop, and strongly considering going union. I got the job pretty quickly after 8 yrs in the Marine Corps. I don't like the direction my company is going and have been doing a lot of research on switching to the IBEW. It seems like a great idea. Just looking for any advice you can give me thanks.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Lifetime nonunion guy says

"Stay a free man!"
Yeah, because we're slaves at work. Guys like this need to read our constitution. We believe in working hard and not over working ourselves. We believe in a safe working environment and not being pushed around by a company. We believe in knowledge and protection of our trade. We believe in being their for one another like a family member would be. We believe in a fair living wage. We believe in our union. I can't think of a better work environment. I worked non union for 13 years, I've been in the union for 1 and a 1/2.

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
I believe in all that too.

Difference is I get it myself. No need for a brotherhood...

... Not that there's anything wrong with that...

·
Senile Member
373 Posts
I've been in the union 25 years, worked non union my first 3 years in the trade. Going union for me was the best choice for my career, as I live in a strong union area. Good training, good wages, good benefits, and the opportunity to retire in 5 more years with a pension . Thankful I got the opportunity to work with some darn good tradesman in my career. I would definitely take the leap if it is available to you.

·
332 Posts
Chrisibew440 said:
Thanks. That helped. Lol I'm just trying to understand how he has an opinion and he's never been a member, just amazes me. I could care less what he thinks about it.
what kind of vehicle do you drive? Ford, Chevy, dodge, import, truck, car, SUV, van, truck with utility bed, service van, etc. I'm sure you probably haven't owned them all, but probably have an opinion on all of them. His opinion just isn't yours, yours isn't his, and neither one is mine.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
what kind of vehicle do you drive? Ford, Chevy, dodge, import, truck, car, SUV, van, truck with utility bed, service van, etc. I'm sure you probably haven't owned them all, but probably have an opinion on all of them. His opinion just isn't yours, yours isn't his, and neither one is mine.
Her we go!

I drive a Bentley roadster because of the union by the way. Does that help.

·
332 Posts
Chrisibew440 said:
Her we go! I drive a Bentley roadster because of the union by the way. Does that help.
are you saying that because you make more money as a union guy versus a non union guy? I was simply saying here we go because this thread was yet another union bashing/non union bashing/union is better/non union is better thread. No need to get upset, we all know by your username what your stance is. Here's one for ya. You worked non union 13 years, and union 1-1/2 years. "Is it worth being self employed, and work for yourself?"

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
are you saying that because you make more money as a union guy versus a non union guy? I was simply saying here we go because this thread was yet another union bashing/non union bashing/union is better/non union is better thread. No need to get upset, we all know by your username what your stance is. Here's one for ya. You worked non union 13 years, and union 1-1/2 years. "Is it worth being self employed, and work for yourself?"
I don't drive a Bentley, I have a 2000 dodge dakota with 120k on it and a missing front bumper that I just spent $2000 on today to get new tires, rack and pinion, power steering pump and an oil change. I am upset because the notion that the ibew is a bad thing is most definitely wrong. Unfortunately there is other non construction union out their that make all unions look bad. I just did a media recording for you tube and some local city venues yesterday to hopefully change the general nieve outlook on the ibew. I don't want to work for myself by the way nor am I intrigued by it but good luck with it. I wished this wasn't an upsetting subject. It doesn't have to be. Maybe one day this will change. I hope.

·
332 Posts
Chrisibew440 said:
I don't drive a Bentley, I have a 2000 dodge dakota with 120k on it and a missing front bumper that I just spent $2000 on today to get new tires, rack and pinion, power steering pump and an oil change. I am upset because the notion that the ibew is a bad thing is most definitely wrong. Unfortunately there is other non construction union out their that make all unions look bad. I just did a media recording for you tube and some local city venues yesterday to hopefully change the general nieve outlook on the ibew. I don't want to work for myself by the way nor am I intrigued by it but good luck with it. I wished this wasn't an upsetting subject. It doesn't have to be. Maybe one day this will change. I hope.
don't get so caught up in the whole "IBEW is the only way to be, and it makes me better because of it" stance. Everything you said the IBEW stands for in your first post, I feel the same way, I just rely on myself for it. We could have this same conversation about being self employed, and working for someone else. My first question would be why would you want to make someone else all the money when you are most likely more than capable (with 15 years experience) of doing it for yourself? While your stance of good working environment, good pay, and good benefits is great, how about I sweeten that deal and add to it by saying you can have all that, and if you choose, not have to work 40 hours every week, and enjoy life. Keep your pants on, I don't bash unions, I was a member for 8 years in the USWA as an electrician employed by 2 different factories and it was great. However, I'm also not going to bash non union because it has been just as great, and even better at times.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
don't get so caught up in the whole "IBEW is the only way to be, and it makes me better because of it" stance. Everything you said the IBEW stands for in your first post, I feel the same way, I just rely on myself for it. We could have this same conversation about being self employed, and working for someone else. My first question would be why would you want to make someone else all the money when you are most likely more than capable (with 15 years experience) of doing it for yourself? While your stance of good working environment, good pay, and good benefits is great, how about I sweeten that deal and add to it by saying you can have all that, and if you choose, not have to work 40 hours every week, and enjoy life. Keep your pants on, I don't bash unions, I was a member for 8 years in the USWA as an electrician employed by 2 different factories and it was great. However, I'm also not going to bash non union because it has been just as great, and even better at times.
I never bashed the non union so were clear. And I don't think it's the only way to go just better then some methods. What I'm trying to get at is how can you bash if you've never been a member. It's like food, don't knock it till you try it. The non union world never ever did anything bad to me, I just found myself getting older with nothing to show for it and I worked my butt off for ten bucks less an hour then I'm making now.( I still bust my hump ) And yeah! I got fed up with it. As electricians were worth quite a bit to a company, not just dollars but reputation and longevity of an employee.and I don't mind making somebody else money as long as I make a descent wage doing it. Hell! You think I don't know that my general foremans are allowed to negotiate wages outside of our agreement. Ill still bust my butt for him and the company.

·
Who you gonna call?
1,177 Posts
Hahaha. Since the real trolls left for other pastures these union vs non union threads have lost their appeal.

To new members. There are TONS of these threads if you just search for them. ALL of them the same question with the same answers and same stupid bickering. The only difference is the bickering now is just lame and stupid instead of down right offensive.

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
I am upset because the notion that the ibew is a bad thing is most definitely wrong.
That notion doesn't come from anywhere, that's the picture they've painted for themselves.

Union guys often trespass onto our jobs preaching their junk, bothering our employees and wasting their time. If our guys wanted to be union, they know where the hall is. Only problem with that, the second you walk in there they laugh you right back out and tell you the only way in is to flip your company. Sounds like a great place to work...

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
Hahaha. Since the real trolls left for other pastures these union vs non union threads have lost their appeal.

To new members. There are TONS of these threads if you just search for them. ALL of them the same question with the same answers and same stupid bickering. The only difference is the bickering now is just lame and stupid instead of down right offensive.
What do you want to bicker about? We can't force you to be right!!:laughing::laughing:
If someone wants to join the union, go ahead! It's good to hear Chris say that they are working to improve the union's image. Maybe they could start a Just Say No To Inflatable Rats drive???:laughing: That's the biggest problem I've seen with the union and if they want to turn things around, it will have to start with changing the public's perception of the leg-breaking, union worker that goes around tearing out the non-union contractors work or picketing at his house. Around my area, the only union electricians are the ones that come in to work on the large projects that us smaller guys would never want. I can see the advantage if you were a large contractor, of being able to have the amount of workers when you need them, with the skills that are required and then being able to bench them when the job is finished. I don't know what the job market is like in your area but around here the work is picking up and it looks like there will be a shortage of skilled labor.

·
Who you gonna call?
1,177 Posts
wendon said:
What do you want to bicker about? We can't force you to be right!!:laughing::laughing: If someone wants to join the union, go ahead! It's good to hear Chris say that they are working to improve the union's image. Maybe they could start a Just Say No To Inflatable Rats drive???:laughing: That's the biggest problem I've seen with the union and if they want to turn things around, it will have to start with changing the public's perception of the leg-breaking, union worker that goes around tearing out the non-union contractors work or picketing at his house. Around my area, the only union electricians are the ones that come in to work on the large projects that us smaller guys would never want. I can see the advantage if you were a large contractor, of being able to have the amount of workers when you need them, with the skills that are required and then being able to bench them when the job is finished. I don't know what the job market is like in your area but around here the work is picking up and it looks like there will be a shortage of skilled labor.

It's ALL been said before wendon. Not arguing your points. The same question like OP asked is asked at least once a week. If OP just searched old threads he'd find his answer. Why keep old threads if people are too lazy to search them?

1 - 20 of 87 Posts