Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with the hurricane approaching, I know I will be losing power.. I have access to a little Honda generator that has 120v outlets only.. my well pump is 240v. Pretty sure it's a 3/4hp. It would sure be nice to have water through this..
I had the thought of scabbing some sort of boost transformer together. I've got a couple 400w mh ballasts around I could parallel and get 277 out of... probably burn up the pump, transformer and my house :D that's the bad idea
I've basically been a brainless parts installer since school. Motors and transformers were never my strong suit.
Any ideas?
Yeah yeah head to diychat.. I know... 馃檮

Registered
Scada Supervisor
So with the hurricane approaching, I know I will be losing power.. I have access to a little Honda generator that has 120v outlets only.. my well pump is 240v. Pretty sure it's a 3/4hp. It would sure be nice to have water through this..
I had the thought of scabbing some sort of boost transformer together. I've got a couple 400w mh ballasts around I could parallel and get 277 out of... probably burn up the pump, transformer and my house :D that's the bad idea
I've basically been a brainless parts installer since school. Motors and transformers were never my strong suit.
Any ideas?
For that size load you may get away with something like this if it will handle startup.

Registered
Any ideas?
Get a duplicate honda generator and tie the 2 together if it has that feature. the 120 volt 2600 watt generac inverter gensets can do that but mine are brand new. Run the second unit when you need water only, or if you want to double the amount of the load permanently.

Amprobe your well pump to see it total amp draw at each 120v leg, then calculate the load if fed by your method see if your own generator stepped up idea is viable.

Registered
Power distribution and controls
LGLS the suggestion is valid, how ever twice the fuel is used and if one gen goes on a walk about the risk to the pump is huge.

Find a 240v generator feed one engine deal with one piece of equipment.
I had one of these until someone decided they needed it more
The front feet suck, bit loud and since the power is out you can stock up on propane and have no issues.

I am not the expert on these tiny machines. I used to be responsible for 2 CAT 3516's at 5kv that were paralleled.

Registered
LGLS the suggestion is valid, how ever twice the fuel is used and if one gen goes on a walk about the risk to the pump is huge.

Find a 240v generator feed one engine deal with one piece of equipment.
I had one of these until someone decided they needed it more
The front feet suck, bit loud and since the power is out you can stock up on propane and have no issues.

I am not the expert on these tiny machines. I used to be responsible for 2 CAT 3516's at 5kv that were paralleled.
My well pump single phased lots of times because my little service fuses were only 35 amp, one leg always popped till I said F it the cable is buried anyway let it burn out! And put the 50 amps in that cartridge. No harm done to that little 1hp well pump at all. YMMV but he's already got one honda and better to have 2 of those in an emerg esp. if you find someone you love is desperate for one and suffering.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No hurricanes in Alberta. Seen a tornado though. I guess I should update my profile..
I moved from Alberta to the backwoods of New Brunswick 5 years ago. I've traveled back a few times for work over the years.
Out here power outages are frequent. I really should find myself something like a 5kw generator. That would be the best solution.

The Honda generator in question is the one from the work van. Not mine but I could borrow it. I like the idea of a proper step up transformer, but the storm will get here before anything I order. I don't think I've got anything suitable laying around.
The well draws around 4A if my memory is right.. not worried about the little Honda running it.

Thanks guys. I was hoping there was some trick I hadn't thought of to jimmy rig it. Looks like I will be filling 5 gallon buckets for flushing, and the camping jug for drinking water.
At least the Honda can keep the fridge and wifi going!

Registered
Electrician
DuroMax XP9000iH 9000-Watt 459cc Dual Fuel Digital Inverter Hybrid Portable Generator, Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Z1CHJR6/ref=cm_sw_r_apanp_grok8ZUfaFzhT

I have this generator. It's 240v, pure sine wave and runs off of gas or propane. I converted it to natural gas. This generator company makes the Predator generators but comes with a one year warranty. With a soft start kit on my AC it will run almost everything in my house(all led lights) and AC. Just can't run any other big appliances (fridge is fine) while the AC is running. I put an interlock kit on my main panel and a generator inlet.

Registered
Scada Supervisor
Any ideas?
Is it a 2 circuit generator? Did you just happen to check from hot 1 to hot 2 for 240 volts if it is? It may have the windings but not the 240 optional rectp. Just a thought.

Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
Submersible well pump motors are pretty high-strung and don't tolerate lousy power very well. If the pump is on the surface, the motor is a bit tougher.

For 3/4HP, I would not use any transformer less that 1KVA and a basic gen less than 2KVA. If it's an inverter gen, I'd recommend 5KVA, maybe even more.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Didn't know submersible pumps were so sensitive. Pretty sure the Honda is an inverter type. I won't even try messing with it then.

Teo- I actually have one of those hand pumps and a stone well in the yard. Its an ornament too. The well has no cover so Id never use it for drinking.. and the leather cups in the pump are shot. It won't even lift water the 5 feet out.

Registered
Is it a 2 circuit generator? Did you just happen to check from hot 1 to hot 2 for 240 volts if it is? It may have the windings but not the 240 optional rectp. Just a thought.
This is what I was thinking. Be easy to check and do. I saw someone run a 240V bitcoin miner power supply this way from two different receptacles in his apartment. Two extension cords to a 240v recept in a 4 square with industrial cover. Not recommended and I had to shake my head and give him a lecture but it was apparently working.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Power went out overnight, to most of eastern Canada. New Brunswick has almost 50000 customers without, Nova Scotia has 400000 without and pretty much all of PEI. Apparently PEI has 150km winds. I know there are few guys on here from the maritimes. I hope all are safe!
Line crews from Quebec are out helping restore power.
I may end up seeing if that little generator can put out 240 yet. I've got buckets and bottles enough for a day.

Premium Member
Working With the Tools
Any ideas?
What a mess... Take @SWDweller 's advice.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts