Electrician Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Electrical Contractor
Owner
4,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Bill and I am a Canadian Electrician. Started in the trade in 1970 and have a journeyman since 74. Been across the prairie provinces, worked in the Northwest Territories and the Arctic. Seen a lot of different electrical installations and expect to same many more before I drop the tool belt.
Started my own company after working up to the position of Project Manager with a national electrical contractor. Lot different when its your own money you're playing with.
I am located in Manitoba, which for some of you is north of Minnesota.
Like to call this my summer job, as I started the trade as a summer job after my second year of university and never went back. Can't think of a better way to make a living.
I believe that our trade is the most important of all the trades. Every year, electricity becomes more essential to our way of life. As such, I think that we as a trade should project a professional image to society. Just because we are trades persons, doesn't mean that we do not have intelligence, culture, class.
My company does everthing from custom built homes, manufacturing facilities, day care, health care, to light industrial. Starting from the service point, to all of the systems involved in making a building work.
As a business owner and a journeyman first, I try to give my apprentices and journeymen the best hands on training I can.
Here in Manitoba, by provincial law, NO ONE can work on electrical unless they are a Red Seal Journeyman or indentured apprentice. There is even a set of limited licenses for Data and Alarm installers and HVAC Journeyman.
As an aside, if I have interpreted some threads correctly, it appears that some of your states have a very loose control of who can do electrical (ie; lighting tech). That just seems to weaken our position as tradespersons. Even our rules here about the above HVAC or low voltage installers upset me. (rant over)
Anyways, even with my many years of experience, I have already picked up a few gems buried in the threads. Don't think I will ever start learning. Too much fun in this trade when things go right!
And as I tell my carpenter friends- Maybe Jesus was a carpenter, God was an ELECTRICIAN - Let there be light! Pretty well sums up my opinion of OUR trade

Reactions: Restoration

·
Super Moderator
21,912 Posts
welcome to the forum

·
√-1 2³ Σ π
3,465 Posts
My name is Bill and I am a Canadian Electrician. Started in the trade in 1970 and have a journeyman since 74. Been across the prairie provinces, worked in the Northwest Territories and the Arctic. Seen a lot of different electrical installations and expect to same many more before I drop the tool belt.
Started my own company after working up to the position of Project Manager with a national electrical contractor. Lot different when its your own money you're playing with.
I am located in Manitoba, which for some of you is north of Minnesota.
Like to call this my summer job, as I started the trade as a summer job after my second year of university and never went back. Can't think of a better way to make a living.
I believe that our trade is the most important of all the trades. Every year, electricity becomes more essential to our way of life. As such, I think that we as a trade should project a professional image to society. Just because we are trades persons, doesn't mean that we do not have intelligence, culture, class.
My company does everthing from custom built homes, manufacturing facilities, day care, health care, to light industrial. Starting from the service point, to all of the systems involved in making a building work.
As a business owner and a journeyman first, I try to give my apprentices and journeymen the best hands on training I can.
Here in Manitoba, by provincial law, NO ONE can work on electrical unless they are a Red Seal Journeyman or indentured apprentice. There is even a set of limited licenses for Data and Alarm installers and HVAC Journeyman.
As an aside, if I have interpreted some threads correctly, it appears that some of your states have a very loose control of who can do electrical (ie; lighting tech). That just seems to weaken our position as tradespersons. Even our rules here about the above HVAC or low voltage installers upset me. (rant over)
Anyways, even with my many years of experience, I have already picked up a few gems buried in the threads. Don't think I will ever start learning. Too much fun in this trade when things go right!
And as I tell my carpenter friends- Maybe Jesus was a carpenter, God was an ELECTRICIAN - Let there be light! Pretty well sums up my opinion of OUR trade
So you live in Mani-snow-ba eh?

:laughing::laughing:

Welcome to the forum!!!

I have friends in Winnipeg, Portage, and other Provinces.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello wcord

I must agree our strict code for our profession is something to take pride in

I'm a 28yr old student in winnipeg, who set to begin with level 1 and 2 in a few short months! I'm looking for advise about our profession that you just can't learn in a classroom

I've been getting the bucket of electricity and wire stretcher jokes not to fall for but I'm hoping you'll share some true wisdom with me

Thank you for your time

Kilroy (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts