Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
They should add the line: "You should be smart enough to know which end of your Christmas lights should be plugged into your outlet or cord.... after all, you didn't screw it up that way last year, did you?"

·
cog
5,292 Posts
I heard HD is following suit, kind of......they are introducing a 24 hr waiting period on the purchase of so called 'suicide cord' materials. :shifty:

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
929 Posts
Someone explain to me why you would EVER need a male to male cord. I'm not getting it.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Creating ads for cords that do not exist on the market is helpful how?

~CS~

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
While i'm sure non-nrtl products can be procured on the wonderful world wide web, i highly doubt we'll see many sold as the norm in any given hardware chain Joe

Yet perhaps i've missed it ......

Either Ace is openly trying to out their domestic competition , or they are marketing disingenuously via engineering scare tactics

which is it?

~CS~

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
Someone explain to me why you would EVER need a male to male cord. I'm not getting it.
There are people in this world who do dumb things.

They hand up all their Christmas lights, and then go to plug them into the outlet or extension cord............ and realize their lights are all up with the wrong end towards the power source.

Simple fix, they think! "I'll just buy a cord with two male ends!"

Bzzzt. You'd never be able to buy one as no manufacturer will make one when they can't get a listing for it due to being so frikkin' dangerous. I'll bet every DIY and hardware store in the country has at least one request a day on average this time of year for such a product. Many end up buying a cord and a replacement male end and go home to make their own suicide cord.

Hopefully, you can understand why they would be so dangerous.

·
Registered
451 Posts
had problems with this when I was in military. had discharge hoses for radioactive coolant heat traced. there would be a formal work procedure to do the mechanical hookup for the piping flanges and testing, then the mechanics would realize the cord ends were backwards and replace the female end w/a male end. because it's just 120 volts. and anyone can be an "electrician" :whistling2:

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,958 Posts
millelec said:
had problems with this when I was in military. had discharge hoses for radioactive coolant heat traced. there would be a formal work procedure to do the mechanical hookup for the piping flanges and testing, then the mechanics would realize the cord ends were backwards and replace the female end w/a male end. because it's just 120 volts. and anyone can be an "electrician" :whistling2:
Here's an article about sailors getting radiation illness because of the melt down in Japan.

http://beforeitsnews.com/alternativ...fukushima-nuclear-rescue-efforts-2849006.html

·
Registered
451 Posts

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,958 Posts
millelec said:
Thanks Wirenuting. this article is getting a lot of attention from the ex-navy crowd, mainly throwing the bs flag on the still water being the source. know a guy that was an OOD on one of the carriers, he said they had surface contamination on the ship itself from the plume.
When I was in and because of working with ordnance & special weapons, exposure was something we were told about. Remember that the CO could raise your exposure limit as needed to preform the job.
I'm sure that is what they had to do with the surface contamination.
I was surprised to read about the desalination plants letting it thru.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Maybe Ace's marketing mentality can outlaw pennies in their establishment next, seen them evil little bits of copper do BAAAAAAAAADDDD things ....~CS~

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
929 Posts
There are people in this world who do dumb things.

They hand up all their Christmas lights, and then go to plug them into the outlet or extension cord............ and realize their lights are all up with the wrong end towards the power source.

Simple fix, they think! "I'll just buy a cord with two male ends!"

Bzzzt. You'd never be able to buy one as no manufacturer will make one when they can't get a listing for it due to being so frikkin' dangerous. I'll bet every DIY and hardware store in the country has at least one request a day on average this time of year for such a product. Many end up buying a cord and a replacement male end and go home to make their own suicide cord.

Hopefully, you can understand why they would be so dangerous.
So you're telling me there are people dumb enough to hang their Christmas lights without lining up the ends properly and NOT think to simply turn one set around . . . but SMART enough to MAKE a male to male cord using an extension cord and a replacement plug . . . ?

I presume these are the same people that wrap their splices in duct tape?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts