Electrician Talk banner
61 - 66 of 66 Posts
I have been close to buying the M18 a couple times but I don't use it that much and usually on wood or metal where I'd rather have the extra power.
That bad boy has plenty of power. I use it a ton, one of the more often used tools for me now.

We admittedly have a lot of softer redwood buildings around, but I haven't had any issues with going through oak flooring or other hardwood paneling. It cuts through metal lathe and plaster walls with no problems either.

Most of that it seems has to do with the blades, not the battery. The tool doesn't have to be overworked with the right blades, but choose the wrong one and your burning through blades and batteries.

Best I have found are the Bosch ones.

That bad boy has plenty of power. I use it a ton, one of the more often used tools for me now.

We admittedly have a lot of softer redwood buildings around, but I haven't had any issues with going through oak flooring or other hardwood paneling. It cuts through metal lathe and plaster walls with no problems either.

Most of that it seems has to do with the blades, not the battery. The tool doesn't have to be overworked with the right blades, but choose the wrong one and your burning through blades and batteries.

Best I have found are the Bosch ones.
I agree about the blades!

The two things I'm skeptical with - trimming bolts, nails, and threaded rod, and deep plunge cuts in wood. Metal lathe with carbide grit, getting too aggressive is not a good thing.

I’ve drilled a ton of holes with the Milwaukee 1/4” shank bits in my impact. Saves carrying two tools all the time. As long as you don’t ram it down with hard pressure it’s not usually a problem
I should have said it depends on what you are drilling into.

Wood and softer metals aren't going to damage bits like harder metals.

Step bit, justv like drill bits, need constant, decent pressure with the speed lower than first speed on most drills. Use oil, it makes s world of difference.

Each time the drill has to re enter the work piece, it wears the drill down even more and creates more heat and wear than if it stayed in the piece cutting it.

Slow-medium speed, oil and decent pressure will keep your drills lasting and lasting.

You guys are going to laugh and scoff, but ten years ago I bought a full set of them goldy ones from the Harbor Fright store on Cape Coral Parkway when I was visiting Mom for about 15 bucks, and those have held their edge better than the Greenlee ones I have . Goldy still bites right thru the metal without having to send a tek screw thru first, but my Greenlee's are all past that now.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.