Electrician Talk banner

RECENT GOOGLE RANKING

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Electrical Contractor
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to ask each of you to please check your websites in Google Search and let me know if you have indeed lost ranking or have gained ranking in the new Google algorithm change.

We lost out significantly and are a bit worried about the fact that Manta, Service Magic, YP - etc. have massively outranked everything as top search responders (keep in mind they literally pay MILLIONS of DOLLARS a year in Google Adwords sales.)

I'm trying to determine if we are a single case of losing massive rank in the last 2 weeks - or if others were affected and if so - are the Service Providers who pay into Adwords completely dominating.

Google has long held that they are a NOT PAID FOR POSITION search engine. I'm starting to wonder if that is indeed true.

Also - if you guys want to talk SEO or Content to help each other out - let me know.

Thanks - Lyrics Express (Hammer Electric)
Webmistress and SEO

·
Electrical Contractor
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're very welcome - this is kind of scary for us. We thought originally that a competitor had perhaps reported our site (improperly) as a spam site and Google had excluded us... (you know how this biz can get... competitive!)

Then we started watching the results - so it could have been a combination of things. However - we really are starting to see some not so good results and thought we'd share the info - and put everyone's heads together.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd like to ask each of you to please check your websites in Google Search and let me know if you have indeed lost ranking or have gained ranking in the new Google algorithm change.

We lost out significantly and are a bit worried about the fact that Manta, Service Magic, YP - etc. have massively outranked everything as top search responders (keep in mind they literally pay MILLIONS of DOLLARS a year in Google Adwords sales.)

I'm trying to determine if we are a single case of losing massive rank in the last 2 weeks - or if others were affected and if so - are the Service Providers who pay into Adwords completely dominating.

Google has long held that they are a NOT PAID FOR POSITION search engine. I'm starting to wonder if that is indeed true.

Also - if you guys want to talk SEO or Content to help each other out - let me know.

Thanks - Lyrics Express (Hammer Electric)
Webmistress and SEO
I beleive I'm doing a little better now. I've been working on getting our site listed on the first page of Google Places. Google places is the map and listings that pop up any time someone searches for something like electricians charlotte nc. Basically for local services which I'm guessing most people here offer.

What this update has mainly done is get rid of all the junk articles out there that are low quality and not original content. So people who post a bunch of unoriginal articles all over the net for backlinks have lost rankings. The main people effected were article directories like ezinearticles, articlesbase, and what not. The people who seemed to gain rankings were actually forums.

Also someone asked for the link. Here's the official Google blog post: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/finding-more-high-quality-sites-in.html

As for me, my plan is to stick to creating useful content for my site which will naturally attract people to link to it. My goal is to get our site to the top of Google places for our keyword (which can bring in LOTS of new leads).

If you want to discuss Google Places more, you can PM me. The only people that are probably interested in that are those that run a small business and want to get new leads online. I'll let you know how it goes for me and if I'm able to get ranked.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I put "keywords" into my profile on twitter and a week later my twitter posts for my company in my area are showing on the first page of google search. I tried this with my facebook fan page but not a lot of results yet.
As i pay for yellowpages.ca online ya that is helping somewhat

·
Registered
13 Posts
I put "keywords" into my profile on twitter and a week later my twitter posts for my company in my area are showing on the first page of google search. I tried this with my facebook fan page but not a lot of results yet.
As i pay for yellowpages.ca online ya that is helping somewhat
You want your keywords to be in the link to your company site. So if your an electrician in Charlotte NC you want the link to your site saying Electricians Charlotte NC because when people go to Google and are looking for an electrician in your area that's what they will probably type. Electrician then area.

·
Electrical Contractor
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I beleive I'm doing a little better now. I've been working on getting our site listed on the first page of Google Places. Google places is the map and listings that pop up any time someone searches for something like electricians charlotte nc. Basically for local services which I'm guessing most people here offer.

What this update has mainly done is get rid of all the junk articles out there that are low quality and not original content. So people who post a bunch of unoriginal articles all over the net for backlinks have lost rankings. The main people effected were article directories like ezinearticles, articlesbase, and what not. The people who seemed to gain rankings were actually forums. Did you say this forum has done better? Or worse?

Also someone asked for the link. Here's the official Google blog post: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/finding-more-high-quality-sites-in.html

As for me, my plan is to stick to creating useful content for my site which will naturally attract people to link to it. My goal is to get our site to the top of Google places for our keyword (which can bring in LOTS of new leads).

If you want to discuss Google Places more, you can PM me. The only people that are probably interested in that are those that run a small business and want to get new leads online. I'll let you know how it goes for me and if I'm able to get ranked.

I'd like to think that you're right, except I've been reading the content on the webmasters' tools group and it seems like the places that are coming up on top are the major players like Amazon, etc. And the mom and pop places have been yanked out or drastically reduced.

Our site is flash and has a lot of keyword usage (however because google reads the text format of it - it only sees multiple uses of keywords - and our articles are 100% original) Anyhow... Our site literally TANKED... gone - bye bye..

But we've been following several other sites of both competitors (friendly) and non competitors.

We've been watching the service industry backlinks as well.

Since we've realized that writing articles that incorporate your keywords should "technically" up your ranking, we've found that organic articles that mention your keywords (even though you're talking about them - and your site is about your keywords) instead, are dropping your ranking.

We're also concerned that there is an ease of use (blackhat seo technique) of reporting sites for spam content. So - say for example - I didn't like your site... and well say I wanted to rank better than you... All I would have to do is go report your site. If your site is in flash or your keywords exceed a recommended setting - your site would be eliminated from Google.

Now - say... for example you were beating out oh... let's pick YP and YP didn't like it - all they have to do is say - ooopsie - you're spam...

With literally billions of sites and less that 24 thousand employees the reality of Google reading every single spam request individually is unlikely.

So - with the recent Farmer update - we've found that at least 40% of our sites that we have been watching have gone down to insignificant numbers in ranking - AND - not only that... they have good content on them and they should be near the top.

Other search engines (Yahoo, Bing, Ask, etc.) have them listed highly - and the service companies listed lower - all of a sudden, the service companies are now listed higher (significantly so.)

Anyhow - I'm just advising everyone in our business to keep an eye out on it - asking some questions - formulating some information and looking for some feedback.

Would love to hear your experience with this.

THANKS!

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
I had an issue a few weeks ago that the telephone business number wasn't showing up on Google Maps. I got that corrected, but I dropped from 'C' to 'J' after the correction went through. Now we rank a little higher than that because I got a few new reviews. The definitely rank your Google Maps higher than business who don't have reviews.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd like to think that you're right, except I've been reading the content on the webmasters' tools group and it seems like the places that are coming up on top are the major players like Amazon, etc. And the mom and pop places have been yanked out or drastically reduced.

Our site is flash and has a lot of keyword usage (however because google reads the text format of it - it only sees multiple uses of keywords - and our articles are 100% original) Anyhow... Our site literally TANKED... gone - bye bye..

But we've been following several other sites of both competitors (friendly) and non competitors.

We've been watching the service industry backlinks as well.

Since we've realized that writing articles that incorporate your keywords should "technically" up your ranking, we've found that organic articles that mention your keywords (even though you're talking about them - and your site is about your keywords) instead, are dropping your ranking.

We're also concerned that there is an ease of use (blackhat seo technique) of reporting sites for spam content. So - say for example - I didn't like your site... and well say I wanted to rank better than you... All I would have to do is go report your site. If your site is in flash or your keywords exceed a recommended setting - your site would be eliminated from Google.

Now - say... for example you were beating out oh... let's pick YP and YP didn't like it - all they have to do is say - ooopsie - you're spam...

With literally billions of sites and less that 24 thousand employees the reality of Google reading every single spam request individually is unlikely.

So - with the recent Farmer update - we've found that at least 40% of our sites that we have been watching have gone down to insignificant numbers in ranking - AND - not only that... they have good content on them and they should be near the top.

Other search engines (Yahoo, Bing, Ask, etc.) have them listed highly - and the service companies listed lower - all of a sudden, the service companies are now listed higher (significantly so.)

Anyhow - I'm just advising everyone in our business to keep an eye out on it - asking some questions - formulating some information and looking for some feedback.

Would love to hear your experience with this.

THANKS!
The kind of keyword you probably want to target is something like electrician los angeles since that's one of your service areas. The term electrician los angeles gets approx. 2,900 searches a month according to google's keyword tool found here https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

That's a phrase you want to be targeting for your company. You want to include that phrase in backlinks to your site sprinkle that keyword throughout your page and your google places listing.

Also, another important thing for Google places, make sure all your info matches up everywhere. Your compnay name, address, phone number, make sure it is the same on your site and your Google Places listing and any other places your business is listed like yellowpages, merchantcircle, yelp, insider pages, hotfrog, etc.

These are the strategies I'm putting into effect right now. I actually just started about a week ago and I'm on the first page underneath the Google places listings but not in the Google places listings yet. For you it may take more time and be more difficult depending on the competition in your area.

Go to Google and type in electrician los angeles. That's your competition. Those are the people you have to do better than. There are some big companies there but other smaller ones also.

As you said, Flash is not so good for SEO. You will probably have a tough time ranking with a Flash based site. Not saying you absolutely need to switch to HTML or something more SEO friendly, but I probably would.

As far as people being able to report you to Google as spam, I haven't come across any button anywhere that you can push and just label a site as spam. They could possibly link to you from bad places with the intention of hurting your rankings but usually Google just doesn't count these links.

If a lot of your rankings were based on articles and articles sites, that's why you've been hurt by the recent update.

Look at the chart on this page. It shows how much all the main article directories are down: http://www.sistrix.com/blog/985-google-farmer-update-quest-for-quality.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had an issue a few weeks ago that the telephone business number wasn't showing up on Google Maps. I got that corrected, but I dropped from 'C' to 'J' after the correction went through. Now we rank a little higher than that because I got a few new reviews. The definitely rank your Google Maps higher than business who don't have reviews.
Yes reviews are said to be the biggest factor. Having said that, you can't do it with reviews alone but they DEFINITELY help.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I just checked mine, I am still #1 in my town, wait for it....

next town over.......

Page 22 :laughing::no:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts