Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in Oregon and under the 2011 code and Oregon Electrical Specialty Code.

I am upgrading a service from 100 to 200 amp and will be installing a new 200 amp panel "back to back" with the meter and I will drive 2 - ground rods and connect at the first point of disconnect.

The house has been re-plumbed with pex and the only copper left is the 2' piece of main which is chopped off right after it emerges from the ground under the house and plastic is attached to it.
Normally I wouldn't bond this or tie a ground wire to it as I don't know if there is 10 foot in direct contact with the earth and didn't plan on using it as a grounding electrode but another contractor told them it had to be grounded.

1) Just wondering if others would worry about this 2' piece of copper?

Also the house has natural gas and normally we just make sure if it has a gas furnace or any other gas appliance that the gas line is bonded via the egc from the circuit feeding it (that is likely to energize it). I have always done this and never been turned down.

2) Also wondering if others run a dedicated bonding line sized by 250.66 to the gas main to bond it and if so can you use an aluminum conductor to do so.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Im in Oregon and under the 2011 code and Oregon Electrical Specialty Code.

I am upgrading a service from 100 to 200 amp and will be installing a new 200 amp panel "back to back" with the meter and I will drive 2 - ground rods and connect at the first point of disconnect.

The house has been re-plumbed with pex and the only copper left is the 2' piece of main which is chopped off right after it emerges from the ground under the house and plastic is attached to it.
Normally I wouldn't bond this or tie a ground wire to it as I don't know if there is 10 foot in direct contact with the earth and didn't plan on using it as a grounding electrode but another contractor told them it had to be grounded.

1) Just wondering if others would worry about this 2' piece of copper?

Also the house has natural gas and normally we just make sure if it has a gas furnace or any other gas appliance that the gas line is bonded via the egc from the circuit feeding it (that is likely to energize it). I have always done this and never been turned down.

2) Also wondering if others run a dedicated bonding line sized by 250.66 to the gas main to bond it and if so can you use an aluminum conductor to do so.

I would bond the water but wouldn't touch the gas. I go by the feeling that if you can't prove that it is or isn't 10', then you would assume it is.

If you didn't bond the water, what other method would you use to satisfy 250.53 A 2?

·
Banned
4,506 Posts
ElectricJoeNJ said:
Around here gas only has to be bonded if there is any yellow csst used for the piping. A
Csst isn't just yellow.

Reactions: aksparky

·
13,020 Posts
I'd say bond it per 250.104

Here it is from the OESC:

OESC 250.52(B)(3) Not Permitted for Use as Grounding Electrodes.
(3) In existing electrical installations, when a service change or upgrade occurs, an existing metal
underground water pipe shall not be used unless the metal underground water pipe has been verified as
suitable for continued use as a grounding electrode. An existing metal underground water pipe shall be
bonded to the new grounding electrode system as required by 250.104(A).

·
Banned
4,506 Posts
ElectricJoeNJ said:
Yes but only the yellow is required to be bonded according to nj codes. The black counterstrike brand doesn't need to be bonded
Oh really??

Lol

Yes the black stuff also needs to be bonded. The black stuff is going to not have to be but the UL listing hadn't been issued yet.

Show me the code that says only the yellow

·
Banned
4,506 Posts
There are rumors that in the future they may not require the black csst aka counter strike to be bonded but at this time it still needs to be. I just had a lengthy discussion about it with a state inspector after another state inspector was trying to tell me I had to drive a ground rod and jump the gas meter..... http://www.tracpipe.com/CSST_Gas_Pipe_Products/CounterStrike_CSST/ Notice even per the manufacturer it still must be bonded as per code.

·
Banned
4,506 Posts
davis9 said:
According to the link posted above NO additional bonding is needed with the Counterstrike product.
No ADDITIONAL bonding is required.

But it's still required.

·
Registered
962 Posts
robnj772 said:
No ADDITIONAL bonding is required. But it's still required.
Correct but usually an equipment ground is present already. No additional bonding as in a #6 or larger depending on manufacturer literature.

If there is no equipment ground present then a bond must be provided.

·
Banned
4,506 Posts
davis9 said:
Correct but usually an equipment ground is present already. No additional bonding as in a #6 or larger depending on manufacturer literature. If there is no equipment ground present then a bond must be provided.
My response to the guy from nj was per our codes here in nj.

I think bonding the gas is a bad idea, I'm not debating that.

Bonding the csst gas lines no matter what color they are( yellow,black,pink,lavender)

Is required by the codes in nj.

Are you in nj? Do you know what the NJ code states about csst bonding?

The counter strike says no additional bonding but the # 6 that is required by Nj code isn't additional since it's required.

Reactions: davis9

·
Registered
809 Posts
Do you guys have to bond the meter or manifold or both. The rules here are different with every crew/company that comes out.

·
Registered
962 Posts
robnj772 said:
My response to the guy from nj was per our codes here in nj. I think bonding the gas is a bad idea, I'm not debating that. Bonding the csst gas lines no matter what color they are( yellow,black,pink,lavender) Is required by the codes in nj. Are you in nj? Do you know what the NJ code states about csst bonding? The counter strike says no additional bonding but the # 6 that is required by Nj code isn't additional since it's required.
Nope in MA/NH. The OP is using Oregon codes. Lol.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.