Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, yesterday I had a service change scheduled. Got the old panel off the wall new panel was up and the HO came out and asked what the total price was. I grabbed the signed contract and explained it was 1785 plus the 250 for the optional upgrade to 200 amp service. Total 2035. She said, "oh, I thought it was 1785 for the 125 amp or 250 for the 200 amp. I can't afford that, can you put the old one back". I explain no way I could put it back. That she was lucky they didn't red tag it as the service wires were sun damaged and the wire was exposed. I asked her how much she had and we agreed upon half with three payments at 30,60,90 my question is. Have any of you had this and how have you handled them? I had a signed contract. And I feel I'm pretty thorough in my contract and explanation of the charges. And as you can see from the pic. I'm surprised it didn't arc out, the support wire clamp was resting on the conductors

Attachments

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
Did you present it to her like this?:

125 amp service : $1785
200a Service: $250 extra.

It should have been presented as:

125 amp service : $1785
200a Service: $2035

Either way, she's off her rocker if she thinks a 125a service is $1785, but a 200 is a mere $250.

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Do enough work to cover what she has to pay. Let her know to call me when she has the balance and I will come and finish the job. I bet she will find the balance real quick.

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
I haven't had it quite like that before, but have had a payment system set up for a customer before. She didn't have all the money at the moment, but asked before work started if she could do payments, I believe she was being honest by the way her stuff looked, very modest but very clean.

I agreed to take three payments, but I collected the checks and had her post date them. I cashed them all without incident and it went over pretty smoothly. I wouldn't recommend doing that, and I would be hesitant to do it again in the future, it just was a special circumstance.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I have had quite a few people ask me to take payments. I've passed on most of them. This was real odd. I quoted the job three months ago and didn't hear anything. Then they call, figured they had finally saved the money. Idk, we will see.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,768 Posts
I hope you every last detail in writing with this one.

So you did a 200A mast service, in CA, for $2035?? Wow, I get more than that up here.
Was this a day job or side job?

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
So, yesterday I had a service change scheduled. Got the old panel off the wall new panel was up and the HO came out and asked what the total price was. I grabbed the signed contract and explained it was 1785 plus the 250 for the optional upgrade to 200 amp service. Total 2035. She said, "oh, I thought it was 1785 for the 125 amp or 250 for the 200 amp. I can't afford that, can you put the old one back". I explain no way I could put it back. That she was lucky they didn't red tag it as the service wires were sun damaged and the wire was exposed. I asked her how much she had and we agreed upon half with three payments at 30,60,90 my question is. Have any of you had this and how have you handled them? I had a signed contract. And I feel I'm pretty thorough in my contract and explanation of the charges. And as you can see from the pic. I'm surprised it didn't arc out, the support wire clamp was resting on the conductors
What did she expect you to put the old one back and not pay?:blink:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Speedy Petey said:
I hope you every last detail in writing with this one. So you did a 200A mast service, in CA, for $2035?? Wow, I get more than that up here. Was this a day job or side job?
Yeah, day job, hell, I've been told I'm high lots of times. Seen some quotes from other guys Low as 1400 it's crazy, but even at 2k, after all is said and done, I walk away with 1200. But some of them take a lot of pre planning, that's for sure.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Never surprises me what customers can come up with. I always try to confirm the quoted price in the office when they call to schedule the work. But also, before the guys get started at the customers house they go over the proposal and what is going to be done for the day and the price (before they start) - This eliminates any misunderstandings.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Getting a deposit would have helped here as well. When you said you needed a 1/3 deposit up front of $700, it would have helped her understand the final price.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
At least the customer didn't call the police after you left and say you beat him up. Because that happened to me once.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ProLectric said:
Never surprises me what customers can come up with. I always try to confirm the quoted price in the office when they call to schedule the work. But also, before the guys get started at the customers house they go over the proposal and what is going to be done for the day and the price (before they start) - This eliminates any misunderstandings.
That would be a good idea. I was very clear of the contract. Least I thought I was,

·
Small Potatoes
5,460 Posts
I hope you every last detail in writing with this one.

So you did a 200A mast service, in CA, for $2035?? Wow, I get more than that up here.
Was this a day job or side job?
Get them all the time at high 3k's low 4k's depending on the job and that includes permits. Hudson Valley region.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts