Electrician Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys building a house in the Hamptons, framer recommended me to HO. He wants an undersized service ,400 amps 1300 feet from pole. OK, figured for 1k' primary, a vault A frame and Trans S and two Murray panels. $32 G. 3 buildings on property, main house 9k sq ft, over 100 hihats, part cathedral needing scaffolding, finished basement and second floor, detach 3 car garage w/ recreation room on top level, a pool house, all needing sub panels. I figure $80 k for all that.

He said I'm double every other price he got. I was gonna sub it all out anyway since it's too far from home where all my jobs are 10 minutes from my driveway.

·
Premium Member
18,553 Posts
They square footed the house and missed the service, this will end up costing the guy a huge delay and end up being more than your quote. I'm guessing the final price, with a four month delay, to be just over 100k

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
HaHa...

No, I'm not laughing at you. I'm laughing at your POCO for not being able to supply you a point closer than a 1/4 mile away.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
The part about all this that I hate, is all that time you spent putting those numbers together, you wont see a dime for...sucks.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
The part about all this that I hate, is all that time you spent putting those numbers together, you wont see a dime for...sucks.
This is so true. It's another reason why I prefer to stay away from bigger jobs like that.

I guess we can't complain too much, it's part of doing business. Think about how much time car salesman spend on customers who end up buying from other dealers. All salesmen have wasted time, it just needs to be factored in.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll do it for $50 an hour, projected finish time, 11/2015.

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
Those big houses are for shops who have (5) guys sitting around and all they do is those kind of jobs out there in the Hamptons...

I've seen some of the work and it seems the bigger the price tag,, the worse the workmanship.. if they even knew what the word meant anymore..

The builders will sell a house for $5 million.. with all kinds of granite.. marble.. and high end appliances.. yet find the cheapest bid for the electrical.. :no:

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
............The builders will sell a house for $5 million.. with all kinds of granite.. marble.. and high end appliances.. yet find the cheapest bid for the electrical.. :no:
That's due to all the laid-off second-year apprentices who hang out their shingle and pretend to be EC, willing to work for 50¢ an hour. Since they're a dime-a-dozen, the GCs don't care if they go out of business.... another one can be found in a heartbeat on Craigslist.

We've turned ourselves into a commodity, just like 2x4 precuts.

·
Registered
809 Posts
B4T said:
Those big houses are for shops who have (5) guys sitting around and all they do is those kind of jobs out there in the Hamptons... I've seen some of the work and it seems the bigger the price tag,, the worse the workmanship.. if they even knew what the word meant anymore.. The builders will sell a house for $5 million.. with all kinds of granite.. marble.. and high end appliances.. yet find the cheapest bid for the electrical.. :no:
Most builders usually dont know where to start on a house that size. I did a 13,000 sq ft house recently where the builder did so much fancy stuff to cover up all the bad work it wasnt even funny. The builder and HO made so many changes, still are, that it was impossible to finish on when they wanted to. They just got me answers last week for stuff i have asked for since july and now they want me back in there to do them and the HO moved in in august which makes everything harder. Builders want everything done for dirt cheap and they always want it done right now, usually to soon, and then the check is always in themail.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Those big houses are for shops who have (5) guys sitting around and all they do is those kind of jobs out there in the Hamptons...

I've seen some of the work and it seems the bigger the price tag,, the worse the workmanship.. if they even knew what the word meant anymore..

The builders will sell a house for $5 million.. with all kinds of granite.. marble.. and high end appliances.. yet find the cheapest bid for the electrical.. :no:
Most builders usually dont know where to start on a house that size. I did a 13,000 sq ft house recently where the builder did so much fancy stuff to cover up all the bad work it wasnt even funny. The builder and HO made so many changes, still are, that it was impossible to finish on when they wanted to. They just got me answers last week for stuff i have asked for since july and now they want me back in there to do them and the HO moved in in august which makes everything harder. Builders want everything done for dirt cheap and they always want it done right now, usually to soon, and then the check is always in themail.
:thumbsup:
This, in a nutshell, is why I dont wire new homes anymore. Screw it, too much bs and not enough money to show for it.

·
Registered
809 Posts
MHElectric said:
:thumbsup: This, in a nutshell, is why I dont wire new homes anymore. Screw it, too much bs and not enough money to show for it.
Thats why im working on my last house for this guy. Hack builder making me look bad.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Guys building a house in the Hamptons, framer recommended me to HO. He wants an undersized service ,400 amps 1300 feet from pole. OK, figured for 1k' primary, a vault A frame and Trans S and two Murray panels. $32 G. 3 buildings on property, main house 9k sq ft, over 100 hihats, part cathedral needing scaffolding, finished basement and second floor, detach 3 car garage w/ recreation room on top level, a pool house, all needing sub panels. I figure $80 k for all that.

He said I'm double every other price he got. I was gonna sub it all out anyway since it's too far from home where all my jobs are 10 minutes from my driveway.
So the framer is acting like a GC..bad start.

I had a similar project. Three houses on 300 acres, all owned by the same lady who didn't want poles on her property. We ended up going under a hwy with an underground feed to a pad mounted transformer about 100 ft from each house. Went underground to each one.

She had a primary transmission line on more of her property across the hwy and wanted them to take it down as well.:laughing:

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Framer is one of my customers when he GCs the work. On this job an old cheap Greek homeowner is GCing his own new house.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:thumbsup:
This, in a nutshell, is why I dont wire new homes anymore. Screw it, too much bs and not enough money to show for it.
I don't mind new builds, I have three lined up, the first already started with all the UG work. Hope to start it Tuesday as soon as this jewelry store is 110% done.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
This is so true. It's another reason why I prefer to stay away from bigger jobs like that.

I guess we can't complain too much, it's part of doing business. Think about how much time car salesman spend on customers who end up buying from other dealers. All salesmen have wasted time, it just needs to be factored in.
Yeah but most car salesmen don't know $hit about their own product.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts