Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many here do government contracting, and do minority certifications really give you an advantage, such as DBE (disvantaged business enterprise) MBE (minority business enterprise) and SMBE (small minority business enterprise).

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,785 Posts
Move to Hawaii and marry a local girl. Then put the company in her name and make her a 51 % owner.

·
Registered
884 Posts
How many here do government contracting, and do minority certifications really give you an advantage, such as DBE (disvantaged business enterprise) MBE (minority business enterprise) and SMBE (small minority business enterprise).
It's only an advantage IF YOU are the minority sub...otherwise you have to purchase your big ticket items through a minority supplier, to which they tack on 2-5% for taking your P.O. and handing it to YOUR supplier.
There are very few true minority subs in my area, which is a huge market. At least who are big enough to handle large gov projects or large commercial projects. Most of them are fronts and just pass paper.
So if you are a minority and want to get in on the game, become a "supply company" and work out of your house and have zero employees

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's only an advantage IF YOU are the minority sub...otherwise you have to purchase your big ticket items through a minority supplier, to which they tack on 2-5% for taking your P.O. and handing it to YOUR supplier.
There are very few true minority subs in my area, which is a huge market. At least who are big enough to handle large gov projects or large commercial projects. Most of them are fronts and just pass paper.
So if you are a minority and want to get in on the game, become a "supply company" and work out of your house and have zero employees
It does'nt seem to be much of an advantage here in So. Cal. Seems like everybody and there mother has a certification. I have all three that I mentioned in the outset.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts