Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I assumed most electricians here are in the US. I am curious to know if the US govt provides any incentives for apprentices and programs to combat the skill shortages?. I'm from Australia and my government gives all apprentices a $800 tool kit allowance at the end of their 1st yr in the trade to help buy some basic tools. There is also an $500 payment at the end of each yr, just to encourage apprentices to stick with the trade(the govt thinking to pushing it to $1500). There is also a Living away from home allowance if you moved out of your parent house for work. With the skill shortages in Australia and lowest unemployment level ever (about 5%), There are plans to set up different trades school where young people can gain there formal high school education as well a recongised vocational training in their chosen trade. I even remember one time during high school, the prime minister telling kids to forget uni and pursue a trade instead. In Australia, there are more kids now completing their full high school education and continuing on to pursue tertiarty studies.

I am 19 yrs old by the way and I'm a 1st yr electrical apprentice. I finish my full high school education tup to yr 12(2005). I should have left at yr 10 though, so i could have gotten a head start on my career now and been a 4th yr, but been told by my parents to pursue tertiarty students so I can more successful in my career,life and get a good job.

Terran_Sky

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
When I got out the U.S. Marine Corps. -1973, Australia was looking for skilled people.They even looked inviting to me.What happened?

Bob O.84,Pa.15330

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
When I was in college the early 90's, the scam of the day was "Austrailia wants you". When I looked into their unemployment, it was through the roof. I didn't take the bait.

·
Registered
31,896 Posts
To my knowledge there are no such programs in place. In my experience, in my area, in the states the high school guidance counselors work against the trades, telling parents if their child takes the path of the trades, they will be branded as losers and have no chance of EVER getting into college.

When I tell folks what electricians make many have a cow. I have heard more than once "electricians make what?, I went to college and don't make that." Failing to realize what it takes to be an electrician.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.