Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,175 Posts
The guys must love it.

Brave man loading it on the truck like that. Did Graybar tell you the weight? And what's that top rated for? How far from Graybar to jobsite?

If you're going to be doing that often, truck stops have giant super duty straps DOT rated for cheap.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,161 Posts
240∆?

Graybar around here is not very good, customers are viewed as more of a nuisance than anything else, especially anything non-stock. The counter is pretty good though.

Also, around here, everything larger than #6 is black, colors are special order.

·
Registered
Residential remodeling
284 Posts
In Texas we have Elliott Electrical who stock all colors in any size. I am luccky to live in the city where their distribution center is attached to a counter sales store. If they do not have it there, they order it and send youbover to the distribution center 20 feet away.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,362 Posts
The guys must love it.

Brave man loading it on the truck like that. Did Graybar tell you the weight? And what's that top rated for? How far from Graybar to jobsite?

If you're going to be doing that often, truck stops have giant super duty straps DOT rated for cheap.
Nice catch, at first glance I thought it was a flatbed truck.

·
Super Moderator
7,175 Posts
Nice catch, at first glance I thought it was a flatbed truck.
That picture is a testament to the quality of that bed cover.
I'd bet the manufacturer of it would enjoy seeing that picture.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,362 Posts
Here orange is used for 480+ volts and used with brown and yellow. If 240, the orange would be red
Code changed years ago, it is one of the few current carrying conductors speced in the code. Yes it was red for high leg on L2 ( not for utilities) for years. I never liked the change to orange as per code due to B-O-Y was standard 480 Volt colors. We had BK- R- BL for 240 high leg and B-O-Y for 480 volt. We added on to the building and the AHJ made us put Orange in the new building as high leg. Then we had purple as 480 B phase. We told him what the rest of the building was and his answer was " this is a new building even though it is attached to the old one."

·
Premium Member
19,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The guys must love it.

The topper is rated for 1600lbs.
They put it on the truck with a forklift.
We buy straps at a Loves or Pilot.
The cheap ones don’t last

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,362 Posts
Check out that they setup the ground wire on a separate reel that isn’t attached to the rest of them.
They would have to right? Because it is a different size it will unwind at a different speed.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
We just got wire on reels like that. They are really nice. The ones we had had a separate reel for each wire. The downside is that our supply house has a $3200 deposit on each reel. And they are really slow on returns/refunds.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,161 Posts
They would have to right? Because it is a different size it will unwind at a different speed.
Often I'll reduce the size of the neutral and on long pulls, yes, this is a fairly minor problem.

The parallel reels we get have 4 slots and most of them are not far from completely destroyed...........

Every supply house around here has them, it doesn't cost anything to use them. After the pull, we have them picked up next time their truck is here delivering material.

·
Premium Member
19,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We just got wire on reels like that. They are really nice. The ones we had had a separate reel for each wire. The downside is that our supply house has a $3200 deposit on each reel. And they are really slow on returns/refunds.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
They rent them for zero dollars, the job we had canceled and I have to warehouse them for a couple of weeks.
I think if it goes beyond a month, they call looking for them.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You know, the classy thing to say is that I envy you. But no, I'm absolutely jealous. That looks like an incredible tool to use. I can see it having applications pulling for resi barns or garages. Usually I pull for 100' or more and hate myself in the evening lol.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts