Electrician Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, been reading posts here for awhile. This is a great forum site with tons of great info. I am from Madison, Wi area. Thanks for all the info. I found the site looking for ways to set up the new work van, I got in April.

·
Super Moderator
21,929 Posts
Welcome to the Monkey House.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Good luck setting up your work van. I'm trying to keep mine organized, although after every job it looks like a bomb went off in it. I always seem to spend an hour either Saturday or Sunday cleaning the trash out and putting things back were they belong. Trying to get myself to do that before I leave the jobsites now, it is slowly happening.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We are still working. There is only three of us to keep busy. Boss is bidding alot of projects, so hopefully he can land some of them and we stay busy. I am the same way usually spend a few minutes every few days cleaning van up before it gets to bad. I will try ad post some pics soon.

·
Premium Member
20,984 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Good luck setting up your work van. I'm trying to keep mine organized, although after every job it looks like a bomb went off in it. I always seem to spend an hour either Saturday or Sunday cleaning the trash out and putting things back were they belong. Trying to get myself to do that before I leave the jobsites now, it is slowly happening.
What's seemed to work best for me is a ritual I got into doing every morning, first thing. Normally takes about 15 minutes.

I first unload all the trash, recyclable scrap, and excess material. Then, I restock any truck stock used the day before. Only when all that is done do I load any extra or special materials and tools that will be required for that day's work.

With this procedure, you really only need to do a knock-down, drag-out truck cleaning maybe a few times a year.

·
Professional Nit Picker
2,322 Posts
Welcome

Back when I had a work van, I found the best way to keep my van neat was to have a place for everything. I lived by the motto "everything has a place and everything in it's place". I got in the habit of making sure that when I was putting something back into the truck It went in it's place !
No matter if it was some 1/4x20 bolts or a drill, it went back where it belonged. I made sure that what ever apprentice I had with me knew that they better put things away correctly as they would be the one to make it right as I watched and told them where to place things, before leaving the job site for the day. I never had a problem with knowing what I had and where it was.
I built a console that fit between the seats that served as a table and storage. The top was hinged and below it was a storage area for code books, paperwork, folders etc.
It all boils down to training yourself to be organized

1 - 10 of 10 Posts