Electrician Talk banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Flying a kite in a storm.
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Possibly, but it's still a great job.
Seems so dangerous though.

I love the idea of steady work and high pay with being a linesmen, but more than the pay I like the depth and complexity that the job of inside-wireman seems requires. Plus I figure it will give me more practical knowledge than working on 500,000 volt power company equipment.

We'll see though -- maybe I will apply for the Linesmen local...:blink:

I've got a buddy there that is in his 4th year of apprenticeship and he told me that he is extremely busy.

·
Banned
4,456 Posts
Hey thanks a lot for the feedback.

My original plan was to apply at LU 126 if I didn't get into LU 98.

Would it be possible to jump ship from 126 to 98 somewhere down the line or is that frowned upon?

If there is a two year wait for my apprenticeship maybe I could just get a job somewhere as a helper for two years to get my feet wet. The thought of starting a apprenticeship soon is very tempting I'm just not sure if I want to be a linesman... :001_unsure:
Switching tickets? It's a myth, especially when it comes to 98.
You could always try getting a job at a supply house for awhile.

Linesmen are paid well, and rarely out of work.
Well, yes and no. 126's rate is about $3 less then ours except I'm sure there check offs are less. So that's a wash I guess. They HAD unemployment, but are now busy from what I here. On the other hand we had maximum employment with a few hundred travelers just a few years ago, but thats all over now. Probably looking at some sort of steady unemployment for the for seeable future.

Don't they travel a lot?
That's the first question they'll ask you. The top reason why guy's drop out of their program is the traveling.

Possibly, but it's still a great job.
Absolutely.

Seems so dangerous though.

I love the idea of steady work and high pay with being a linesmen, but more than the pay I like the depth and complexity that the job of inside-wireman seems requires. Plus I figure it will give me more practical knowledge than working on 500,000 volt power company equipment.

We'll see though -- maybe I will apply for the Linesmen local...:blink:

I've got a buddy there that is in his 4th year of apprenticeship and he told me that he is extremely busy.
4th year????? :blink: It's only a three year program.
The pay is about the same and both careers are and can be equally rewarding, and equally dangerous.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you love working outside in the weather, become a linemen. Linemen generally make more money and are rarely. I know in Alaska they have a lock on the line work market. I dont believe there are any non-union shops. If I was to do it again I would probably be a telephone guy. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
164 Posts
alaskan jw said:
If you love working outside in the weather, become a linemen. Linemen generally make more money and are rarely. I know in Alaska they have a lock on the line work market. I dont believe there are any non-union shops. If I was to do it again I would probably be a telephone guy. :thumbsup:
Is there still union work on the north slope? I worked there for five years in the 80's

21 - 29 of 29 Posts