Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started working non union commercial about 3 months ago. Started absolutely green, not knowing anything. I making 11.50/hr here in California and have yet to start school. Is this a fair starting salary? What should I expect to make after a year?

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
why aren't you asking your boss that question ?

$11.75 ?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
When I first got out of high school I had a job that payed $12/hr fixing computers. I talked my boss into paying me $15/hr by showing him that I did twice the work that a normal employee of his did.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Started working non union commercial about 3 months ago. Started absolutely green, not knowing anything. I making 11.50/hr here in California and have yet to start school. Is this a fair starting salary? What should I expect to make after a year?
Rack up some time,work as hard as you can,learn everything you can about the electrical trade,read the NEC,it is your new bible ,be the best everyday,and when you think your the best,WORK EVEN HARDER to become better than the best.

Get some time in and prove everyday that you're worth a lot more,you'll know when you're good enough for a raise in pay,at that point walk into your bosses office and ask him with confidence for what you think you are worth,be prepared to quit on the spot if he says no,negotiation your pay takes balls,it's likely you'll get the raise,if not walk.

Your boss has to do this every time he gives a quote to a client,if the client is not willing to pay the price he does not get the work.

Make yourself the best electricians apprentice money can buy and go get it.

Good luck and Welcome to the electrical trade and ET...:thumbup:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hard to say really. I guess it depends on role you are playing in your company. You are here seeking info so that's a good start. Some first years just do what their told and nothing more. So they get paid the minimum and nothing more. My advice would be to pay attention obviously. Have a good aditude and show respect to the mechanics. They will be asked how you are doing. So you want a good report from as many as possible. Some guys are just impossible to get along with, so you need to find out who is worth going the extra mile for and who has the knowledge and desire to teach you the best. Bring your own tools. Pay attention to what tools are commonly used that you do not own and purchase 1 or 2 on payday. If you have no other issues I.e. being late, playing on your phone or wondering around the job sight, then ask for a raise. Even if you do not get it, it shows your boss that you are interested in staying around, learning and moving up. The senior electricians will also know where your pay scale should be in that company. So, i would mention it to them first and see what advice they offer. Just dont look to hard for the wire stretcher or the bucket of steam. Lol Good luck.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice. Things are going well. I am slow but have learned a lot in the first couple months. 2 apprentices have been let go since I started, and I am still here so that's a plus. As for the write stretcher my boss warned Me about it before my first day on the job

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,984 Posts
jeromjenkins said:
Thanks for the advice. Things are going well. I am slow but have learned a lot in the first couple months. 2 apprentices have been let go since I started, and I am still here so that's a plus. As for the write stretcher my boss warned Me about it before my first day on the job
Grab a small note book for you pocket. Take notes and refer back to them. Even if you only have time at lunch, jot a few lines down with the date and location.

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
What should I expect to make after a year?
There is a chance that you will be making $11.50 in a year.
Hell, you may not even have a job in a year :laughing: It depends mostly on your work ethic.

This trade takes a few (four plus) years to get to the journeyman level where you can double your current salary. Most of it depends on you. In 6 to 10 years you may be able to triple it.

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
where in California are you? where are you going to go to school at?

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
Sacramento and haven't started school yet but I was looking at weca
I'm not sure what weca is, look around some local junior college night school electrician classes. I think as far as your wage just be glad you have a job for now. you can always apply to get into the Union but don't mention that to your boss. don't be afraid to think big is far as your education goes, Construction Management, business degree at Sac State.

also donate as much time as you can to Habitat for Humanity, see if you can get electrical experience doing residential. they don't have electrical work do whatever they have for you in the residential building environment see what you think about that.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,612 Posts
. Just dont look to hard for the wire stretcher or the bucket of steam. Lol Good luck.[/QUOTE] Actually there is a wire stretcher, an apprentice brought me a catalog with one in it. It seems it is for linesman work

·
IBEW Local#269
339 Posts
Grab a small note book for you pocket. Take notes and refer back to them. Even if you only have time at lunch, jot a few lines down with the date and location.
Good advice here.
Use this crap job to gain some experience, then move up to a real job.:thumbsup:
After getting a year or two of experience under your belt, try to get into your local union. If nothing else, you'll get some great training, and you'll make more money, and have benefits. (Whoa!!!)

·
Electron Factory.Worker
306 Posts
$11.50. Seems a tad on the low side, but you gotta do what you gotta do around here $12-$14 is the going starting rate. I've heard mixed things on WECA classes. Some guys really like it and others have said its a waste of time but they spent most of their nights at Centerfolds. I think its like anything else you get what you put into it.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
$11.50 seems high to me for someone zero experience not enrolled in school. You should be grateful you have the opportunity. There are a lot if people trying to get in that can't. If your wondering ask for a raise, if you get it you'll know the answer. The truth is most green apprentices are terrible and quit the trade the first year but not before being lazy, whining, moping around and showing up late, high or hungover and making someone else's job harder for a few months. If you don't get the raise you know that your boss would rather throw 3 months of training down the drain than waste more money in you.

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
Be patient...you will get there. It takes time. Doesn't sound to bad when you consider you didn't know anything and min wage is 725.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Harry 380 and electric student have pretty much said it all. I have first years constantly coming in my office looking for jobs. There is no shortage of help available and the pay reflects that. $ 11.50 is a decent starting wage around here. Now create value in yourself. Be early to work and last one to remove your tool belt at the end of the day. Be the last one to break and first one back. Work overtime if they need you without complaining and above all stay of the freaking cell phone at work. Do this and your pay will quickly increase.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am grateful for the opportunity. I enjoy the work, and am amazed how much I have learned in these couple of months. Anyone have a school recommendation for here in the sacramento area?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts