Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to locate some underground empty PVC conduit. Will the tracker work if I push a fish Tape in the conduit and connect one transmitter lead to fish tape and other to metal of panel can ? Never used one before but have access to one.

·
Can't Remember
10,446 Posts
Most likely. May even work better if you attach a ground like a long screwdriver to the opposite end.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most likely. May even work better if you attach a ground like a long screwdriver to the opposite end.
Can't attach long screwdriver to opposite end , the conduits just exit building and are capped off. I need to find the ends.

·
Can't Remember
10,446 Posts
I didn't read the first post closely enough. Typically when you direct connect, you have one lead you connect to the pipe/wire and the other is connected to a ground (long screwdriver/mini ground rod, etc). Sometimes you might need a longer jumper to get that lead into the earth. If you knew where the beginning of the run is outside, many locators will have the ability to inject a signal onto a conductor if the transmitter is placed above it. Not sure if the greenlee can do this. Visit some of the major manufacturers websites for locators for some ideas on how this works. Vivax, Radiodetection, 3M Dynatel are a few. A good basic one that can be had used on Ebay is the Fisher TW-6. Usually reasonably priced. I have been using mine a bunch this year. The much fancier and expensive 2273 rarely leaves the house.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have this locator and have used it to locate the end of a 2" pvc pipe 200' in the field buried and taped(air won't do it). Pushed a fish in about 50' and filled the pipe with water,found it with first scoop. The 501 is a decent locator. I also have a Metrotech 9800 series locator,but typically grab the 501 for ease of use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts