Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
IBEW LU 354 Inside Wireman
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this question has already been asked. I tried searching for a similar post and couldn't find anything.

Has anyone had any issues with the CT 747? I've heard that Current Tools was started as a copy-cat company of Greenlee by former Greenlee employees. It makes sense since the design of their benders are quite similar at the base level. We've had a couple of the 747s for about a year and a half and just got one back from a jobsite that is beat up pretty bad. I fully understand that usual wear and tear happens with excessive use. They probably put over 10k feet each of 2" pvc coated and rigid pipe through the course of 4-5 months through this bender. And there was some misuse that also happened. We've been repairing it and getting new parts ordered to fix the problems it has from improper use. The other maintenance issues though, these seem like something that I only encounter on the 25-30 year old Greenlees we have. The chain tension not staying tight after just a few bends is probably the biggest problem. Definitely the most frustrating. The urethane rollers for rigid 1-1/2" and 2" are unusually bent. The base of the roller is bent up, as if it was flexing, but they sit flat on the body of the bender, and the bender itself is not damaged. My only guess is that the metal vertical supports were buckling under the pressure of the pipe bends. This is further supported by the fact that the rollers will not roll anymore because they are seized at the point of attachment.

Is this something any of you have encountered with your 747, or do I need to have a "coaching session" with our guys in the field?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,374 Posts
Sorry if this question has already been asked. I tried searching for a similar post and couldn't find anything.

Has anyone had any issues with the CT 747? I've heard that Current Tools was started as a copy-cat company of Greenlee by former Greenlee employees. It makes sense since the design of their benders are quite similar at the base level. We've had a couple of the 747s for about a year and a half and just got one back from a jobsite that is beat up pretty bad. I fully understand that usual wear and tear happens with excessive use. They probably put over 10k feet each of 2" pvc coated and rigid pipe through the course of 4-5 months through this bender. And there was some misuse that also happened. We've been repairing it and getting new parts ordered to fix the problems it has from improper use. The other maintenance issues though, these seem like something that I only encounter on the 25-30 year old Greenlees we have. The chain tension not staying tight after just a few bends is probably the biggest problem. Definitely the most frustrating. The urethane rollers for rigid 1-1/2" and 2" are unusually bent. The base of the roller is bent up, as if it was flexing, but they sit flat on the body of the bender, and the bender itself is not damaged. My only guess is that the metal vertical supports were buckling under the pressure of the pipe bends. This is further supported by the fact that the rollers will not roll anymore because they are seized at the point of attachment.

Is this something any of you have encountered with your 747, or do I need to have a "coaching session" with our guys in the field?
Honestly, I would just replace them. It really sucks to have a known broken piece of equipment sent out to a job site.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
730 Posts
I would contact the rep or the manufacture and start asking questions. Might be something that they are aware of. I have never used your puller.

I had an Greenlee 686 with the lattis boom, a bunch of smaller pieces welded together. We did a large copper conductor pull and the lattis boom twisted like a pretzel before being baked.
I hunted down the Greenlee rep and delivered the boom to his desk. Lots of words but he got me a new one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly, I would just replace them. It really sucks to have a known broken piece of equipment sent out to a job site.
This has been one of the biggest reasons my department has taken over the tool crib here. For years, it was ran by our procurement department, none of whom have worked in the field, aren't wiremen, and have no idea how the tools work. I've now got a journeyman overseeing the day to day tool deliveries and everything gets tested and inspected as it is returned. I put into place a red tag tracker so we can identify the tools that are constantly being returned for repairs so they can get tossed in the dumpster or parted out. We can also see who is turning in the most damaged tools so we can have a "talk" with the foremen about the proper use of tools. We've already found a pony that is on its last legs that surprisingly looks good at a glance. It's the oldest pony we've got now though and it is a constant patient in our tool hospital. So far its working, but it's still a new system we're tweaking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 555 has had the same steel rollers for 30+ years. Might have replaced the pins a couple of times because of them being lost.
There's a few tools that you just have to go with the industry standards. There's a reason all the side benders are called 555 in the field instead of whatever company/model they are. The 555C is still the benchmark for all other benders that aren't capable of utilizing the Bendworks software onboard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would contact the rep or the manufacture and start asking questions. Might be something that they are aware of. I have never used your puller.

I had an Greenlee 686 with the lattis boom, a bunch of smaller pieces welded together. We did a large copper conductor pull and the lattis boom twisted like a pretzel before being baked.
I hunted down the Greenlee rep and delivered the boom to his desk. Lots of words but he got me a new one.
Already had our tool purchaser working on this. Waiting to hear back.

·
Registered
Local 3 IBEW Tool House - Supply
791 Posts
we sell both Greenlee and Current. On the larger equipment, we always go Greenlee, unless someone specifically requests it. We use Current more for the reel jack stands, pipe racks, even KO punches and dies, etc...any kind of machinery, motorized or hydraulic we go Greenlee...except for the hand KO pumps, we stock both. A lot of the stuff is similar and compatible with Greenlee, but I don't think the quality is there...at least not yet. When they first came out, there was an extreme price difference with a lot of savings to go blue over green, but that margin has dwindled and the prices are much closer now. not sure if they went up, or they caused Greenlee to come down. Probably a combination of the two.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,054 Posts
When buying any 555 smart bender, my advice is to purchase extra circuit boards, and an extra pendent. In less than ten years my original 555 SBC parts were obsolete and they couldn't sell me replacement parts. But I kept it working using good old fashioned contactors and ice cube relays , and an so cord with a pvc lb for my new pendent with a momentary contact button connected thru the cover plate. Works fine . You just have to eyeball the protractor on the face of the bender now instead of programming in a bend degree and pushing the go button.

·
Tool Fetish
889 Posts
When buying any 555 smart bender, my advice is to purchase extra circuit boards, and an extra pendent. In less than ten years my original 555 SBC parts were obsolete and they couldn't sell me replacement parts. But I kept it working using good old fashioned contactors and ice cube relays , and an so cord with a pvc lb for my new pendent with a momentary contact button connected thru the cover plate. Works fine . You just have to eyeball the protractor on the face of the bender now instead of programming in a bend degree and pushing the go button.
That's how I always do it. My 555 is 40 years old, no electronics, just levels.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've had a 855 smart bender since 1996 and never had an issue with it.

The 555 SBC I had previously was sold to a friend and it still works fine.

Must be that fine Honolulu atmosphere...

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,054 Posts
I've had a 855 smart bender since 1996 and never had an issue with it.

The 555 SBC I had previously was sold to a friend and it still works fine.

Must be that fine Honolulu atmosphere...
More likely our fantastic Hawaiian Electric Company and their ability to prevent line surges

1 - 12 of 12 Posts