Electrician Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying one of these Greenlee 629 set screw type wire pulling grips. I have mostly used the basket type grips and have never used one of the set screw type. Does anyone have any experience with them. It appears as far as the specifications that they would work on wire up to 350's. Has any one had any issues with them? Are they strong? Will they stay on when using them on long heavy pulls? Any input would be helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
10,633 Posts
Once you use them you'll never go back to baskets again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, am I correct that they will work on wire up to 350s? The specs on it only say the opening is 5/8 and stripped 350s are somewhere around that size. Are you guys stripping the insulation before inserting the wire into the grip and tightening the set screws?

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
Way better then baskets. Second the tape on the set screws. That's the only problem I see with them, easy to lose the screws. I always strip the wires and for the biggins I just chop a few strands.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Yes strip the wire and insert the bare copper into the grips then clamp it down.

I've had kellums come loose, never those with the set screws though.

My favorite grips are the Maxis grips, kellum+spikes that dig into the wire, plus they're fast as can be. No stripping involved. 1 person can set up a head in just a couple minutes.

·
Florida resident
3,898 Posts
AC Darois Electric said:
Thanks guys, am I correct that they will work on wire up to 350s? The specs on it only say the opening is 5/8 and stripped 350s are somewhere around that size. Are you guys stripping the insulation before inserting the wire into the grip and tightening the set screws?
I've pulled 600's with mine before just got to give the wire a haircut

·
Registered
10,633 Posts
I was thinking I could use the grips on wire with a bigger outside diameter than 5/8 by cutting a few strands to get the cable to fit into the receptacle in the grip.
Yes, to pull you strip the insulation off and only grip onto the conductors. If you're pulling 500's, use a pipecutter to ring off the entire outer layer of strands.

Reactions: ghostwriter

·
Registered
326 Posts
When I use them with wire too large to fit, I bend the outer strands back and trim the inner strands, then bend the outer strands back so it fits into the grip.
This way there isn't a shoulder that could get caught on a coupling.

·
Registered
10,633 Posts
I don't have a picture, but if I showed you the size grip we use to pull an 864 fiber optic cable through thousands of feet of duct, you'd shi+ your pants in disbelief. Those puppies are the cat's meow.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Yes, to pull you strip the insulation off and only grip onto the conductors. If you're pulling 500's, use a pipecutter to ring off the entire outer layer of strands.
When I use them with wire too large to fit, I bend the outer strands back and trim the inner strands, then bend the outer strands back so it fits into the grip.
This way there isn't a shoulder that could get caught on a coupling.
When I use the set screw grips I use a pipe cutter like said above. It makes for a super clean cut that you don't have to trim anything up when done or make sure nothing is going to catch. Plus it's really quick and easy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.