Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I have one. Best expense I've ever had.

That beastie will pinpoint an underground fault to within an inch.

We had one customer with 1000 foot run of underground cable on a farm. Went across a field and horse paddock.

I was able to pinpoint a fault in the middle of the paddock and we dug up the bad spot on the wire and spliced it. The farmer was impressed at the accuracy of the thing.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I don't know for sure,but the reason I got a Timco unit was you could locate on a hot or dead service/wire. At the time, the type pictured couldn't handle hot wiring,that may have changed. Maybe another member knows for sure?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Does that also locate cable. Or does it just find the fault. I have an Ideal version that looks a lot like that, but it does not locate the cable.
This particular unit only locates faults. You need to use a different cable locator first, then probe along the line to find the bad spot(s).

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kbsparky said:
I have one. Best expense I've ever had. That beastie will pinpoint an underground fault to within an inch. We had one customer with 1000 foot run of underground cable on a farm. Went across a field and horse paddock. I was able to pinpoint a fault in the middle of the paddock and we dug up the bad spot on the wire and spliced it. The farmer was impressed at the accuracy of the thing.
Thanks I just ordered one

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.