Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've been lurking the forum for awhile, picking up lots of useful tidbits of information and figured it was time to sign up :thumbsup:

My name's Eric and I'm from Toronto, Canada. At the moment I am just finishing up my pre-apprenticeship schooling and beginning the search for the elusive first-year apprenticeship. I love to work with my hands and be challenged intellectually at the same time, and from what I've experience so far this profession seems like an awesome fit for me!

Thanks for all the advice I've gathered from you all so far, I look forward to getting to know you guys.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Welcome!

Pete

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hey all,

I've been lurking the forum for awhile, picking up lots of useful tidbits of information and figured it was time to sign up :thumbsup:

My name's Eric and I'm from Toronto, Canada. At the moment I am just finishing up my pre-apprenticeship schooling and beginning the search for the elusive first-year apprenticeship. I love to work with my hands and be challenged intellectually at the same time, and from what I've experience so far this profession seems like an awesome fit for me!

Thanks for all the advice I've gathered from you all so far, I look forward to getting to know you guys.

Hello Eric welcome aboard.....:thumbup:

·
Registered
714 Posts
cheers,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey everyone. So I graduated from the pre-app course and have been searching for a job for the past month and a half nearly every day. I've applied to over 30 companies and called countless and have gotten zip so far. I know (especially in Ontario) that the job search for apprentices is bleak but I didn't think it would be this bad! I was wondering if anybody would be willing to PM me with some companies that I might have better luck with who are looking for first-years or love green guys? I'm going to continue searching as well as apply to the union (Local 353) when they do intake in a month, but if I don't get any bites in the next few months I may have to think about heading west (not what I would prefer, but if that's my only option that's what I gotta do).

So here's a little run-down of my education and experience:
-Graduated from Sheridan College's Electrical Techniques program with a 4.0GPA
-Also have a Bachelor of Commerce with honours specializing in international business (which I know means nothing but figured it might show a tendency for determination and hard work)
-Don't have any direct experience in the field but have been steadily employed for over 5 years with part-time jobs and great references. Hoping to make up for lack of experience with hard work and quick learning.

ANY tips, advice, or leads would be greatly appreciated!!

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hey everyone. So I graduated from the pre-app course and have been searching for a job for the past month and a half nearly every day. I've applied to over 30 companies and called countless and have gotten zip so far. I know (especially in Ontario) that the job search for apprentices is bleak but I didn't think it would be this bad! I was wondering if anybody would be willing to PM me with some companies that I might have better luck with who are looking for first-years or love green guys? I'm going to continue searching as well as apply to the union (Local 353) when they do intake in a month, but if I don't get any bites in the next few months I may have to think about heading west (not what I would prefer, but if that's my only option that's what I gotta do).

So here's a little run-down of my education and experience:
-Graduated from Sheridan College's Electrical Techniques program with a 4.0GPA
-Also have a Bachelor of Commerce with honours specializing in international business (which I know means nothing but figured it might show a tendency for determination and hard work)
-Don't have any direct experience in the field but have been steadily employed for over 5 years with part-time jobs and great references. Hoping to make up for lack of experience with hard work and quick learning.

ANY tips, advice, or leads would be greatly appreciated!!
Don't give up!

Everyone here went through the same thing.:)

·
Registered
782 Posts
welcome aboard eric.
many guys here are from canada and will soon give you some advice. frunkslammer is on his way

Sent from my HUAWEI Y210-0100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Banned
7,221 Posts

I had trouble getting an apprenticeship too. I would get rid of your education experience on your resume.. nobody in construction wants a genius, they want a worker and you'll probably start out in construction. Downsizing and simplifying my resume helped.

If hitting businesses through the front door isn't working, figure out a way to get in the back door.. Meet the people electrical contractors come in contact with who could pass your name on, or who could give you a little referral. Even though they don't really know you, they're respected by the EC and the EC will hire someone referred that way, rather than taking the risk of picking and choosing from a stack of papers on their desk.

Expand your circle.. let everyone know you're a young apprentice eager to work. Tell everybody, even random people in public. Go stop into Contractor business associations, the suppliers, tool shops and so on.

Now if that still doesn't pan out in a month or so, or if you're desperate for cash.. you gotta kick it up to the next level. Make sure you have all your tools and safety gear required for construction and start cruising. Go show up at local construction sites in the morning before work starts and track down the EC and ask if he needs help today. Some sites will give you flack for going, and be respectful, don't go back.. others that don't, go back there once a week and tell them you will be back once a week until you get a job somewhere. One day they will need help and you will be the first person in their head.

Its crazy the stuff you gotta do to get in.. but even if you get hired with a crappy company, once you're in and get some experience, you have options.

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you for the replies everyone, particularly frunkslammer! When you say get rid of my eduation experience, are you talking about my pre-apprenticeship as well? Only reason I ask is because that little thread is the only thing on my resume even remotely related to the field.
I've been shamelessly asking anybody and everybody I come into contact with if they can help me out, which has worked well - i have learned of A LOT of people who are electricians through this extended circle - but nobody has been able to help so far.

The next step for me will be going into the electrical supply stores and tool shops and asking around. I REALLY hope it doesn't come to me showing up on random construction sites (I'm a little shy to begin with so this seems daunting :p) but if that's what it takes I'll be there. What time do guys usually get to the sites and what time do they usually start working?

Again, THANK YOU SO MUCH!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts