Electrician Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all you "sparkys",

I'm a second generation electrician currently running my own 12 man operation and consultancy. I am moving to the states next year and although i have all my uk qualifications do i need addtional quals to get relevant state licences

·
Super Moderator
21,929 Posts
Hello all you "sparkys",

I'm a second generation electrician currently running my own 12 man operation and consultancy. I am moving to the states next year and although i have all my uk qualifications do i need addtional quals to get relevant state licences
Welcome-- yes you would need a license in most states. Some states have reciprocity with others while others do not. Depends a lot on the state you work in. Pennsylvania, I believe, does not require a state license but may require local licenses.

Reactions: electricianessex

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome-- yes you would need a license in most states. Some states have reciprocity with others while others do not. Depends a lot on the state you work in. Pennsylvania, I believe, does not require a state license but may require local licenses.
Many thanks Dennis, I think I am about to move into a minefield when we go over next year. I have plenty of time to do the homework on licenses. ( I think I may need a few months to work out what licenses and where i get them etc ).

Thanks again

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
most states have information online which you can download and fill out to apply to qualify to take the tests you need to pass to obtain licenses.

here is a website where you can start looking if you want
http://www.mikeholt.com/statelicense.php

·
Super Moderator
21,929 Posts
Many thanks Dennis, I think I am about to move into a minefield when we go over next year. I have plenty of time to do the homework on licenses. ( I think I may need a few months to work out what licenses and where i get them etc ).

Thanks again
Where are you moving to?? Work, as you probably know, is pretty sucky right now.

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,779 Posts

Thanks again
on top of the fact our code is vastly different (language wise mostly?) than yours

·
Premium Member
20,984 Posts
I worry that no state will accept anything you've learned in the UK as a basis to sit for their testing. I might be wrong, but that's a fear I have for you.

What I can say is that I'm pretty confident that no state will summarily grant you their license just because you have your UK quals. You'll still have tests to take... if they let you sit for them.

·
Premium Member
20,984 Posts
I recall a series of posts from a fellow from the UK that's getting ready to move here soon. It seemed he'd already done his own checking for some time, and concluded that he'd basically be starting from the bottom again when he moves here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where are you moving to?? Work, as you probably know, is pretty sucky right now.
kentucky, thanks for asking. My cousin has a contractors and needs a separate electrical division.

I know busines is bad in the state but this is true of the UK. we have to just suck it in and get on with it I suppose :(

I am aware of the codes and licenses but its still a minefield in the US. I am really scared!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Fried Bologna um um good!
8,094 Posts
kentucky, thanks for asking. My cousin has a contractors and needs a separate electrical division.

I know busines is bad in the state but this is true of the UK. we have to just suck it in and get on with it I suppose :(

I am aware of the codes and licenses but its still a minefield in the US. I am really scared!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since you know where you are moving it should be easy to find out if your experience will count toward a license here. I would be on the email or phone to them asap. Let us know what they say.:thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts