Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a second year apprentice looking to become the best that I can be in the electrical field. Besides getting in with a good company, what are some great books to read besides ugly's to increase my knowledge in a practical way.

·
Registered
13,241 Posts
Felandro said:
I am a second year apprentice looking to become the best that I can be in the electrical field. Besides getting in with a good company, what are some great books to read besides ugly's to increase my knowledge in a practical way.
This one.
And

And this one has saved my bacon before.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Go to BCIT and get a good education is the best thing..

But in the meantime, getting P.S.Knights Electrical Code Simplified will help you learn the code rules and why things are done certain ways. You should be able to find this book in Home Depot's for $15-20. It helped me a lot as a second year.

Welcome to the forum, I'm also in Vancouver.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the help, that's the second time I've been recommended the code book simplified. I will pick one up if that helps quick a bit, not sure if the American Electricial code is the same so not sure if that book would be proper. Motor repair sounds like fun though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
would you say that getting a solid education at BCIT could open up oppotunities to get into high voltage work somewhere in canada? my plan when i seperate from the military, if i do NOT get hired with the power companies ive applied with, is to go to school full time. i have dual canadian citizenship and was interested in an education with BCIT

·
Registered
13,241 Posts
Felandro said:
Thank you for the help, that's the second time I've been recommended the code book simplified. I will pick one up if that helps quick a bit, not sure if the American Electricial code is the same so not sure if that book would be proper. Motor repair sounds like fun though.
The book I posted is a code book. It's a resource of information on electrical. The carpentry book is because you need to know about building.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
would you say that getting a solid education at BCIT could open up oppotunities to get into high voltage work somewhere in canada? my plan when i seperate from the military, if i do NOT get hired with the power companies ive applied with, is to go to school full time. i have dual canadian citizenship and was interested in an education with BCIT

In the Vancouver area BCIT is the best place to go for a good education that is world renowned.

I don't know or can't really say if it would open up any real doors to the high voltage lineman type work, but it wouldn't hurt. Except for your time and money.

If lineman is where you want to be, go that route... It's probably a tougher industry to break into, unless you know somebody who knows somebody... But it's totally possible!

·
Registered
13,241 Posts
backstay said:
The book I posted is a code book. It's a resource of information on electrical. The carpentry book is because you need to know about building.
Edit: The book I posted is "NOT" a code book.

·
Registered
782 Posts
If lineman is where you want to be, go that route... It's probably a tougher industry to break into, unless you know somebody who knows somebody... But it's totally possible!

I didn't know this happens everywhere
Sent from my HUAWEI Y210-0100 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 12 of 12 Posts