Electrician Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Anyone see this before. Original cables installed in relatively new Siemens load center. There is a copper conductor coiled around the cable where it enters the load center. One end is tied to the cable connector. I don't see any code issue but I just don't get it. Any help in understanding this practice would be appreciated.

Is the sheath on those old cables conductive? Is this an attempt to make the circuit grounded?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I see this all the time in device boxes, they just twist it around the sheath and clamp it down.

I am not sure about code, but I wouldn't do it like that personally lol.

·
ET rocks
2,875 Posts
If that's the equipment gr. from the cables and the panel is relatively new, why didn't they terminate on ground buss? Still kinda bonded, but the rx clamp screw is not even tight.

That would be hack work.

Now if the cables don't originally have an equipment ground and somebody just wrapped a few inches of bare to the cable and rx connector, well that's "Super Tard Hack Work!"

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
That was common practice back in the 1950s when equipment grounding conductors were first introduced into romex. They didn't know what to do with it, so this was one method to ensure the box was "grounded" ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts