Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a lot of rods to driver so im looking at a driver attachment that goes on a hilti 3000 demolition hammer.

I really need something like the post guys used on my conduits

Wood Road surface Asphalt Composite material Geological phenomenon

Bounced off the pvc then sheared a 2" ridgid coupling and pushed the conduit down 8 inches. Its not as rusty as it looks.

Oh and if anyone knows the name/brand of a underground pvc repair kit that would be helpful.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,650 Posts
Since a 2 oz. ball-peen hammer won't work, it might be best to rent a compressor and a jackhammer with a ground rod driver. The ones I've used are lighter than a demo hammer, I believe it was a .680" shank.

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a sds max ground rod driver for my macho I think they make them spline drive too

I have a bosch sds max but it struggles with cap rock or should i say i struggle as im old and lazy. It also gets as hot as hell when its running 30 minutes non stop to get a 20 foot rod in the ground unless i get lucky and miss every rock.
We have a hilti on site so i was looking for a rod driver that grips the rod preferable less than the cost of a hilti one.

·
Registered
Commercial/Industrial and Service work
482 Posts
I have a bosch sds max but it struggles with cap rock or should i say i struggle as im old and lazy. It also gets as hot as hell when its running 30 minutes non stop to get a 20 foot rod in the ground unless i get lucky and miss every rock.
We have a hilti on site so i was looking for a rod driver that grips the rod preferable less than the cost of a hilti one.
20ft holy cow you doing tower work ?

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
20ft holy cow you doing tower work ?

just a couple of well pads and a fence.
1 acre and im already up to 8 x 20 rods, 350 feet of 4/0, 300 feet of 2/0, 250 feet of #4. That's not including the 600' of 4/0 we already had in the area.
30 more rods at 15' min and a 100' of #6 and she should be good to go.

·
Registered
Commercial/Industrial and Service work
482 Posts
just a couple of well pads and a fence.
1 acre and im already up to 8 x 20 rods, 350 feet of 4/0, 300 feet of 2/0, 250 feet of #4. That's not including the 600' of 4/0 we already had in the area.
30 more rods at 15' min and a 100' of #6 and she should be good to go.
Wow so where do you get a 20ft tall ladder to drive it 🤣 also I have no clue what a well pad is

·
Chief Flunky
Field Service Engineer
2,562 Posts
Wow so where do you get a 20ft tall ladder to drive it also I have no clue what a well pad is
They make threaded rods or you use couplings. You can go as deep as you want.

An interesting thing about ground rods is diminishing returns. If you drive 3 ground rods one on top of the other you get 1/3rd the resistance all else being equal. With two the second is only about 80% effective. With 3 it’s 70%. Just another reason the NEC rule is ridiculous.

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
I've made a lot of split repair kits, you get pretty good with your cordless circ saw.

I always get a kick out of putting ground rods on wells. We never do in our specs, just weld a chunk of channel right to the casing and lug or cad shot on lol.

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Most R-Mix plants use well water around here and the steel well casing 100’ deep and 8”-12” diameter should be the ultimate ground rod. I use them as part of my grounding system on plants.
I have a bond to the well casing and its over 2000 feet deep. On this job i was asked to point out what i disagree with and report error's with the design but i am not to override the engineers unless its against code.
There is a lot more to this story but generally on-site staff have been asked to run a project as contractors to see whats going on. We picked what should have been a cake walk as its electrically simple, Middle of a field and it doesn't not affect production. I estimated 3 weeks to do a NEC install from good prints. We are now coming up to 2 months and we might be 1/2 way there.

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
When I worked at the plant we had contractors routinely drive 60'-70' ground rods. They used DRIVEZE and a electric jackhammer. No problem.
They would stand on the tailgate of a pickup or a 6' step ladder. It would take them about 20 minutes to drive the entire rod.
LC

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,814 Posts
Most R-Mix plants use well water around here and the steel well casing 100’ deep and 8”-12” diameter should be the ultimate ground rod. I use them as part of my grounding system on plants.
Out here it is 1000-2000 feet of casing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts