Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I say no, am I wrong ? Not a metered pedestal, just busing, and a breaker 480V 3 phase 30A main. There is an existing equipment ground wire in the existing #10 feeder. Replaced an old fused disconnect and controls to an abandoned pump station.

Attachments

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,541 Posts
I agree with Don and will add that with the overcurrent protective device at the structure that makes the wire feeding the panel a feeder so ground rods would be required, IMO.

Reactions: dronai

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
This is located on a street corner on a large commercial property. I could not locate the circuit breaker for this, because in the (2) electrical rooms, not all of the breakers were labeled. There wasn't even any 3 pole 20A or 30A cb's, so I'm guessing that this is fed with a larger breaker that serves several pumps around the property. Each one having there own disconnect and controls. Mounted on strut, in an enclosure. There was also an outgoing wire that I didn't reconnect, until I hear that something is not working downstream.

I guess the key words are "structure" and "feeder" if it serves more than one pump ? I will have to get dig alert out there before I install an 8' rod in this busy area.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,541 Posts
This is located on a street corner on a large commercial property. I could located the circuit breaker for this, because in the (2) electrical rooms, not all of the breakers were labeled. There wasn't even any 3 pole 20A or 30A cb's, so I'm guessing that this is fed with a larger breaker that serves several pumps around the property. Each one having there own disconnect and controls. Mounted on strut, in an enclosure. There was also an outgoing wire that I didn't reconnect, until I hear that something is not working downstream.

I guess the key word is "structure"I will have to get dig alert out there before I install an 8' rod in this busy area.
2- 8' rods at least 6' apart

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
"Big money" Ha !

Just replaced an existing broken disconnect with this pedestal type. I also installed a small transformer inside 480V/120/208V.
Sounds like big money to me. :thumbup1:

Although, if your wife is anything like mine, she can make that money disappear twice as fast as it took you to make it. :jester:

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
I say no, am I wrong ? Not a metered pedestal, just busing, and a breaker 480V 3 phase 30A main. There is an existing equipment ground wire in the existing #10 feeder. Replaced an old fused disconnect and controls to an abandoned pump station.
I guess I can't speak as to the code but when one justifies that it HAS an equipment ground it makes me want to remind them that the egc does not serve as an aberrant voltage protector...such as lightning.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess I can't speak as to the code but when one justifies that it HAS an equipment ground it makes me want to remind them that the egc does not serve as an aberrant voltage protector...such as lightning.:thumbsup:
Yes, and I know that. but I can't remember the last time we had a lightning strike around here. I don't think ever.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.