Electrician Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,178 Posts
Inspection report was given on an apartment building with 400 amp disconnect feeding 8 gang meter cabinet array with 100 amp breakers built into meter cabinet. 1/0 Al SER leaves each breaker and feeds sub panels in each apartment. The inspector said each meter needs its own ground and that the two existing ground rods and #4 bare copper are not sufficient. also the 400 amp disconnect needs replaced and my question is it required or can the meter cabinet be fed directly from the overhead service?
I would say that both yourself and your electrical inspector are confused as to proper code methods. You need the service disconnect since you have more than 6 turns of the hand to disconnect power at the service for the building, that is why there is a service switch ahead of all the metering. Each meter does not need its own ground , but all equipment belonging to the service must be bonded together, tied to the neutral at the service and the service needs to be grounded to all grounding electrodes present at the service, including a metal water pipe in direct contact with soil for ten feet if present at the building.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,178 Posts
After re reading the op it now looks to me that the ''inspector'' is probably not a real electrical inspector, but rather a ''home inspector'' from the sound of it. That would explain a lot......

Reactions: Speedy Petey
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.