Electrician Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Electrician
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, it's not the typical ground up/down!:)

I'm having a "brain fart"!:jester:

Range and dryer receptacles that are 4-wire and recessed, which way does the ground go? I like to see the cord first, but can't in this case. I don't want to have to go back later, so I would like to get the orientation right to start with.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts

Range and dryer receptacles that are 4-wire and recessed, which way does the ground go? I like to see the cord first, but can't in this case. I don't want to have to go back later, so I would like to get the orientation right to start with.
Put the ground down in this case because otherwise the cord will be on top of the cord-cap.:laughing:

·
The Accidental Welder
1,162 Posts
Range cords typically have the ground pin at the opposite end of where the cord leaves the connector body.

Reactions: A Little Short

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Canada, - the opposite...

Stove: First we install a 4-11/16 box 2" off the floor (code) in the centre of where the stove will be. We install this recptacle with the ground facing left or right. :):thumbup:

Being low to the floor the the cord when plugged in (extra will go left or right) will fit nicely in the recess at the bottom of the range and the range will fit tight against the back wall.

Dryer: As above but as we mount the receptacle higher (no code, mine at 42") I of course put the ground down.

It's different in the US eh?

Edit: Note the pic on the cardboard (packaging) cord wrap. :no::no::no:

·
fertilizer distrubuter
1,250 Posts
Canada, - the opposite...

Stove: First we install a 4-11/16 box 2" off the floor (code) in the centre of where the stove will be. We install this recptacle with the ground facing left or right. :):thumbup:

Being low to the floor the the cord when plugged in (extra will go left or right) will fit nicely in the recess at the bottom of the range and the range will fit tight against the back wall.

Dryer: As above but as we mount the receptacle higher (no code, mine at 42") I of course put the ground down.

It's different in the US eh?

Edit: Note the pic on the cardboard (packaging) cord wrap. :no::no::no:
Me too I may be an adoped Canadian.

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts

Put it sideways and no I am not kidding, that way regardless of the cord cap the cord will not be making a u-turn

1 - 17 of 17 Posts