Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty general question here. I'm doing a heavy up and an addition. The addition is getting a new 150 amp mb panel. Because of the distance and running the SE through the attic I have to install a disconnect outside. I'm also replacing the existing 150 amp mb panel with a 200. Because of having to group disconnects, I'm putting a disconnect for what was the existing panel next to the meter as well.

Brings me to my question, In the past, I've actually driven 4 ground rods and just run each #4 back to its own disconnect. (Nice clean look IMO)In this particular setup there is so much crap around I was thinking of just using the existing 2 that are there and split bolting 2 #4 and going up into each disconnect. Can anyone see a problem with that? I've done this exact method with a ufer and had no problems.

Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bobelectric said:
Your S.E. cable through the attic will fail the coveted Electrical Inspection.
How do you figure? 4 wire SER with disconnect before it enters the house.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Your way of 4 rods is useless. You still have to bond all 4 rods to each disconnect or at the meter socket (if your POCO allows). Personally, I would look for either a 400A disco, or a meter main that would allow to you do what you want to do.

As for your specific question, the #4 to the first rod has to be continuous. You could split bolt the second disco on.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,561 Posts
I would run out of the meter if you are allowed with a #6 hit the first rod then leave it long enough to hit the other rod.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Deep Cover said:
Your way of 4 rods is useless. You still have to bond all 4 rods to each disconnect or at the meter socket (if your POCO allows). Personally, I would look for either a 400A disco, or a meter main that would allow to you do what you want to do. As for your specific question, the #4 to the first rod has to be continuous. You could split bolt the second disco on.
Not sure I follow (sorry for my lack of knowledge) but with a 320 amp double lug meter, nippling out each side with PVC to a disco. The neutral(or grounded conductor) is bonded to its pair of ground rods in each disconnect.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dennis Alwon said:
I would run out of the meter if you are allowed with a #6 hit the first rod then leave it long enough to hit the other rod.
by setting the disco, that becomes your panel and neural and ground need to be bonded there. Hence the reason for bringing my ground right to disco.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Legally you would only need one set of rods. Installing two sets of rods is more work as you would have to connect all 4 rods together. I do not think the neutral connection would suffice, but someone with a little more knowledge than me could confirm.

edit: If the neutral does suffice (as a bonding jumper) between the two disconnects, you added 2 unnecessary rods for no reason at all as both discos would already be bonded to 1 set of rods.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
The more I think about it, the more I think I'm correct that you would need to physically bond the two sets of rods together and not rely on the neutral as your bond. I would look it up, but my book is in the truck and it's single digits out there.

edit: at least in my part of the country

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
All you need is two GRs , no need than anymore than that. If you have city water, a #1 cu to that will be your best ground.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shockdoc said:
All you need is two GRs , no need than anymore than that. If you have city water, a #1 cu to that will be your best ground.
No city water, on a well, I know 2 GR's is more work, but wasn't sure of the best way to do it and make it look clean. If I did 2 then from the ground rod back, how would you run it?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RJEJ84 said:
No city water, on a well, I know 2 GR's is more work, but wasn't sure of the best way to do it and make it look clean. If I did 2 then from the ground rod back, how would you run it?
Meant 4 GR's

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Honestly, your best ground is the metal well casing that runs 100" + into the earth. If you want to go overboard, two #6s to ea. rod and a #6 to well casing.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
You still have to jumper the well tank and use the incoming piping as an electrode if its 10' of metal.

As for how you would do it? I guess it would depend on what would look best.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts