Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the system is running on batteries and being inverted, what is a typical ground network?

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
meadow said:
Code reference:whistling2:
Every manufacture I have work with required it as part of the install.

690.41 unless you can comply with 690.35

Most of the offgrid systems I install are over 50 volts from the panels, (up to 150 volts) to the charge controllers.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the reason this came up is because the system was shutting off until the bond was attached to the water pipe. I think the dry ground rod was not enough but I wasnt the installer. It was a J-man that asked me.

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts
the reason this came up is because the system was shutting off until the bond was attached to the water pipe. I think the dry ground rod was not enough but I wasnt the installer. It was a J-man that asked me.
I don't understand why the system would shut off , unless the water pipe was acting like a section of the circuit path back to the source generation. I would check the system wiring out.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
he said it was going to 12k then shutting down. i thought it was a wiring thing too but was curious about the lack of city neutral/ground SE tie in.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Every manufacture I have work with required it as part of the install.

690.41 unless you can comply with 690.35

Most of the offgrid systems I install are over 50 volts from the panels, (up to 150 volts) to the charge controllers.

Yes but not all. systems in the 24 volt range are optional in terms of grounding a leg. Higher voltage systems can have switched grounding.

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
danickstr said:
he said it was going to 12k then shutting down. i thought it was a wiring thing too but was curious about the lack of city neutral/ground SE tie in.
12k off grid system? I've got to see pictures! That's going to take six 80 amp charge controllers. What's the system contain as far as panels, inverters, charge controllers and batteries?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts