Electrician Talk banner

Grounding/Bonding...Hospitals

1142 14
I am on my way back to the hospital to spend the night with my father-in-law but thought that I'd stop and ask a question. Today, I was looking out of the fourth floor window and noticed that there were lightning rods...points about 10 feet apart all around the perimeter of the second floor; Also tied into the loop were all of the roof mount hood fan covers with a very large gage wire. It all was tied EVEN to the metal dome roof drains. Down the hall I looked out the window there and no grounding/bonding at all. I've never done a hospital. Why the difference? I have to leave now so I'll look in later.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,138 Posts
The area protected may be an addition that had protection.
The area without the protection may have recently had a new roof installed.

Many different reasons either way, but I don't know of it being required.

· Banned
4,430 Posts
RIVETER said:
I am on my way back to the hospital to spend the night with my father-in-law but thought that I'd stop and ask a question. Today, I was looking out of the fourth floor window and noticed that there were lightning rods...points about 10 feet apart all around the perimeter of the second floor; Also tied into the loop were all of the roof mount hood fan covers with a very large gage wire. It all was tied EVEN to the metal dome roof drains. Down the hall I looked out the window there and no grounding/bonding at all. I've never done a hospital. Why the difference? I have to leave now so I'll look in later.
How many power savers did you try to talk them Into?

· Registered
1,625 Posts
I know, but hasn't it been proven lightning is more likely to hit a building with rods then without them?
The leaders are given a way to neutralize themselves instead of having a strike directly on the building. There are plenty of videos on this out there. I do agree that some is just theory though. Look up Thompson lightning. They claim to be the best"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.