Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on my way back to the hospital to spend the night with my father-in-law but thought that I'd stop and ask a question. Today, I was looking out of the fourth floor window and noticed that there were lightning rods...points about 10 feet apart all around the perimeter of the second floor; Also tied into the loop were all of the roof mount hood fan covers with a very large gage wire. It all was tied EVEN to the metal dome roof drains. Down the hall I looked out the window there and no grounding/bonding at all. I've never done a hospital. Why the difference? I have to leave now so I'll look in later.

·
Fluke Skywalker
2,383 Posts
Magnettica said:
Is any part of the lightning protection system required to be attached to GEC?
Yes.
They usually check and document we have everything bonded also. Water, steel, sprinkler, etc.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
There is a radius from higher levels that doesnt néed protection. Only if it is in 6' of the ground drop...

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
The area protected may be an addition that had protection.
The area without the protection may have recently had a new roof installed.

Many different reasons either way, but I don't know of it being required.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I have seen it on older sections of hospitals, but not usually on the newer sections. Don't know why, it seems to be a lost art.

·
Banned
4,506 Posts
RIVETER said:
I am on my way back to the hospital to spend the night with my father-in-law but thought that I'd stop and ask a question. Today, I was looking out of the fourth floor window and noticed that there were lightning rods...points about 10 feet apart all around the perimeter of the second floor; Also tied into the loop were all of the roof mount hood fan covers with a very large gage wire. It all was tied EVEN to the metal dome roof drains. Down the hall I looked out the window there and no grounding/bonding at all. I've never done a hospital. Why the difference? I have to leave now so I'll look in later.
How many power savers did you try to talk them Into?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I know, but hasn't it been proven lightning is more likely to hit a building with rods then without them?
The leaders are given a way to neutralize themselves instead of having a strike directly on the building. There are plenty of videos on this out there. I do agree that some is just theory though. Look up Thompson lightning. They claim to be the best"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts