Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the point of even grounding CSST when a jolt lighting will or could puncture the armor pipe? Does bonding it to a water line really prevent damage from a lightning strike? What are you guys take on this?

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
I think the majority of required grounding is voodoo. I just do it cuz I don't know no better

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
What is the point of even grounding CSST when a jolt lighting will or could puncture the armor pipe? Does bonding it to a water line really prevent damage from a lightning strike? What are you guys take on this?
Well it's suppose to be bonded at the point where it connects to the meter, regulator, black pipe etc. at the wall of the building.

·
Wyome
757 Posts
So far, I allow the equipment grounding conductor to take care of it. Local inspector doesn't want to talk about it. Nobody around here knows what to do.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
It's not supposed to be bonded to the water pipe. It's supposed to be bonded to the GES.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
480sparky said:
It's not supposed to be bonded to the water pipe. It's supposed to be bonded to the GES.
But the GES is sometimes made up of water pipe if it constitutes as a grounding electrode.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,061 Posts
Unfortunately there is no proof that the bonding helps but to be compliant the csst needs to be bonded back to the service. This is not an electrical code but a gas code requirement.

For those who are using the equipment grounding conductor as the means to protect it you are making a big mistake and are open to lawsuits if something happens. It doesn't matter if the inspector cares or not it will be your liability

·
Registered
9,252 Posts
Does this mean a gas kitchen range requires a bonding jumper between the range itself and the black pipe, because it's final gas connection is flex? I have never seen that.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
Does this mean a gas kitchen range requires a bonding jumper between the range itself and the black pipe, because it's final gas connection is flex? I have never seen that.
That's probably not CSST....

·
Banned
303 Posts
you don't have to jumper anything..thats why a properly sized bonding conductor is connected at the point where it enters the building before any CSST. This reduces the risk of any damage to the CSST from nearby indirect lighting strikes

·
Lurker...
475 Posts
you don't have to jumper anything..thats why a properly sized bonding conductor is connected at the point where it enters the building before any CSST. This reduces the risk of any damage to the CSST from nearby indirect lighting strikes
:no: Not exactly..

http://www.gastite.com/downloads/pdfs/TB2010-01.pdf

http://www.wardflex.com/images/Technical_Bulletin_WF2008.pdf

Many jurisdictions are now requiring an additional jumper OVER the CSST section (i.e. Fitting to Fitting) to provide the best chance for the CSST/gas piping system to survive a lightning strike OR other electrical fault in the appliance/dwelling.

The problem is that although the CSST 'appears' to be substantially conductive, it has a LOT of internal resistance due to its thinwall construction. Electrically (internal resistance), a 2' length of CSST is not equivalent to a 2' length of black pipe (same trade sizes). When the CSST amperage capacity is exceeded (like during a lightning strike or a ground fault), it quickly becomes the weakest point when discharging fault current to the GES. By bonding the CSST, it equalizes the potentials, and provides a higher capacity bond which will lessen the chance of perforation of the CSST due to arcing. Here's a perforated CSST section.

Here's an extensive report from the NFPA which explains in great depth how important this issue is.

http://www.nfpa.org/~/media/files/research/research%20foundation/research%20foundation%20reports/csst%20gas%20piping%20ph1%20final%20report.pdf

1 - 12 of 12 Posts