Electrician Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I need a little clarification here. I work primarily on the industrial side of things and am starting to get into residential and have a couple questions about grounding on the service. I was always taught you needed 2 ground rods 8' apart and a continuous #4 bare run to the main panel. Also a #4 bare jumped around the water meter and run to the panel as well. My questions are:

If I use the rebar in the footing and it's 20' continuous can I skip the ground rods or is the in addition to them?

What do you do if the water line is all plastic?

The utility states the do not want grounds in the meter socket, how do most of you get that wire to the panel, drill a separate hole just for it? I just thought it would ugly to have an lb there just for the ground to enter the house. I don't see that on most services so that's why I ask.

I appreciate any feedback. Like I said this resi new construction stuff is a little new to me so looking forward to hearing some advice.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Ok guys I need a little clarification here. I work primarily on the industrial side of things and am starting to get into residential and have a couple questions about grounding on the service. I was always taught you needed 2 ground rods 8' apart and a continuous #4 bare run to the main panel. Also a #4 bare jumped around the water meter and run to the panel as well. My questions are:

If I use the rebar in the footing and it's 20' continuous can I skip the ground rods or is the in addition to them?

The utility states the do not want grounds in the meter socket, how do most of you get that wire to the panel, drill a separate hole just for it? I just thought it would ugly to have an lb there just for the ground to enter the house. I don't see that on most services so that's why I ask.

I appreciate any feedback. Like I said this resi new construction stuff is a little new to me so looking forward to hearing some advice.
Welcome to the forum..:)

Look at 250.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,688 Posts
Yes

Nothing

I either drill a small hole for the grounding electrode conductor or you can run it thru the conduit that feeds the panel as long as the #4 is not solid.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,688 Posts
POCO here would fail you for having the GEC in the same raceway with the SECs.

Moot point as I was thinking he needed to get to the meter- he is probably talking about the ground rod or the concrete encased electrode---. Just drill a separate hole-- I never have protected the wire thru the wall but some areas require it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dennis Alwon said:
Moot point as I was thinking he needed to get to the meter- he is probably talking about the ground rod or the concrete encased electrode---. Just drill a separate hole-- I never have protected the wire thru the wall but some areas require it.
Thanks for the help. I think what I need is my ground rods and user ground. The majority of the water lines in new construction around here seem to be plastic so the concrete encased electrode will serve as the supplemental ground that Wisconsin requires. I'll have to double check with the inspector.

Thanks guys.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
It doesn't make any difference which way it's headed. To the panel or to the meter.

......run it thru the conduit that feeds the panel as long as the #4 is not solid.
It's still a GEC in a raceway with the SECs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.