Electrician Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a question about grounding my home. So my panel is actually grounded, but the majority of the wiring is the old two wire romex with no ground.
Originally I was going to run new 14/2 with a ground and rewire everything. My house is a single story ranch with drop ceiling in the basement and access to the attic, so running new wires will not be difficult.
Then I was thinking it would be even easier to get some bare 14 wire and just run that to each outlet/switch. That way I'm only cutting in a ground instead of rewiring everything. It seems like the simpler option, but I'm just not sure if I can legally fix it that way.
I am an electrician, and I've looked in the code book but couldn't find anything about this. Am I missing something or is this method totally fine? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
20,984 Posts
What type of electrician are you?

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
Hey guys, I have a question about grounding my home. So my panel is actually grounded, but the majority of the wiring is the old two wire romex with no ground.
Originally I was going to run new 14/2 with a ground and rewire everything. My house is a single story ranch with drop ceiling in the basement and access to the attic, so running new wires will not be difficult.
Then I was thinking it would be even easier to get some bare 14 wire and just run that to each outlet/switch. That way I'm only cutting in a ground instead of rewiring everything. It seems like the simpler option, but I'm just not sure if I can legally fix it that way.
I am an electrician, and I've looked in the code book but couldn't find anything about this. Am I missing something or is this method totally fine? Thanks!
How your panel is grounded is irrelevant, your supposed to have a bond that does that for you.

As for the NM a separate EGC is allowed for cases like this or a GFCI with a sticker "no equipment ground"

·
Retired Account
39,722 Posts
I believe VII. Methods of Equipment Grounding addresses the OP's Q

~CS~

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How your panel is grounded is irrelevant, your supposed to have a bond that does that for you.

As for the NM a separate EGC is allowed for cases like this or a GFCI with a sticker "no equipment ground"
My panel is bonded to the water main.

·
Registered
707 Posts
If your going to go through the hassle of fishing in a ground conductor you might as well pull a new 14-2. That old cloth stuff is only 60 degree conductor, you don't want that chit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If your going to go through the hassle of fishing in a ground conductor you might as well pull a new 14-2. That old cloth stuff is only 60 degree conductor, you don't want that chit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not cloth. It's 2 wire romex.

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
Code reference?
250.130 (C) as follows:​

(C) Nongrounding Receptacle Replacement or Branch
Circuit Extensions.
The equipment grounding conductor

of a grounding-type receptacle or a branch-circuit extension​
shall be permitted to be connected to any of the following:​
(1) Any accessible point on the grounding electrode system​
as described in 250.50​
(2) Any accessible point on the grounding electrode conductor​
(3) The equipment grounding terminal bar within the enclosure​
where the branch circuit for the receptacle or​
branch circuit originates​
(4) An equipment grounding conductor that is part of another​
branch circuit that originates from the enclosure​
where the branch circuit for the receptacle or branch​
circuit originates​
(5) For grounded systems, the grounded service conductor​
within the service equipment enclosure​
(6) For ungrounded systems, the grounding terminal bar​
within the service equipment enclosure​

Informational Note: See 406.4(D) for the use of a groundfault​
circuit-interrupting type of receptacle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What year? Before 1984 that stuff had 60*C insulation.
The house was built in '62. To be perfectly honest, I could care less about 60c insulation. Would 90c be preferred, of course, but it'll be just fine. I just want some damn grounds. Thank you guys for helping though. I'm going to do just that... run a separate 14 bare. It cuts my work down significantly. If I ran new romex I would need to drill new holes all over to get them to the outlets. With the 14 bare I can sneak it right in the existing holes. On top of that, I'll be wiring that ground up and see ya later... instead of rewiring every outlet in the house.
If I feel the need to run new romex in the future I will, but that's not my top concern.

·
Registered
14,472 Posts
When I attacked a 1962 Romex home...

I used GFCIs most everywhere -- and confined my wire work to the handful of spots that really needed a true grounding conductor.

Re-trimming the receptacles is a snap compared to what may be involved running even a solitary #14.

Options:

1) Cut-in a floor box -- poke-thru style -- if you've got a crawl space/ basement with access.

These don't need to be in the middle of the living room. They can be sweetly punched not so far off an interior wall -- so that subsequent use emulates the classic wall receptacle.

2) Cut-in a floor box -- poke thu style -- INSIDE the entertainment cabinets -- if they are built-ins -- so that you've got sweet power to a dedicated spot -- for your flat-panel TV and trick audio gear.

These projects can be punched out in an afternoon.

Having worked in a 1962 home -- your intended campaign can expand like a gorilla war!

In my case, the big surprise was discovering that MUCH of the electrically intensive home had been added AFTER the original construction -- namely as extensions on the other side of what had been SOLID exterior walls. The work was so professionally done, that it took me quite a long time to realize what the original foot print of the home was.

I will say that other than your office and entertainment gear... most devices are double insulated and are happy with 2-conductor, no grounding bond, Romex.

So, they won't even appreciate that you've knocked yourself out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.