Electrician Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey guys, I have a question about grounding my home. So my panel is actually grounded, but the majority of the wiring is the old two wire romex with no ground.
Originally I was going to run new 14/2 with a ground and rewire everything. My house is a single story ranch with drop ceiling in the basement and access to the attic, so running new wires will not be difficult.
Then I was thinking it would be even easier to get some bare 14 wire and just run that to each outlet/switch. That way I'm only cutting in a ground instead of rewiring everything. It seems like the simpler option, but I'm just not sure if I can legally fix it that way.
I am an electrician, and I've looked in the code book but couldn't find anything about this. Am I missing something or is this method totally fine? Thanks!
Yes, that is an ok way to do it. That is what was used in many homes in the '50s and early '60s until grounded wire became available. And..... The wire which was normally used for grounding was bare #16 AWG, even on the 12 AWG.

·
Super Moderator Beam Me Up Scotty
Elechicken
2,951 Posts
Yes, that is an ok way to do it. That is what was used in many homes in the '50s and early '60s until grounded wire became available. And..... The wire which was normally used for grounding was bare #16 AWG, even on the 12 AWG.
Man, I sure hope he's got his grounding done in the 5 years the thread has been here...

Please fill out your profile as per the user signup agreement.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.