Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pool Shark
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a little story.

Client of mine has repetitive problems with her electronics burning up
So we had the power company check the transformer and all checked out okay on their side.

So inside I checked both legs of the panel with my clamp-on ammeter while running her dryer and also a few other small lighting circuits too, and on L1 I got around 25A and and L2 I got around 35A. Normal yes, but checking the neutral I got around 6A and checking the system ground I got 4A. The neutral and the system ground are tied together at the main disconnect as they're supposed be and the distance from the panel is roughly 25'. So I figure I'm getting some residual reading but these reading are very high to me.

Also, I turned off the main disconnect, and while no power in the house I was still reading 1A on the system ground. Weird case. She only has one ground rod and it is connected properly. I added a inline surge arrester breaker and was considering driving an additional ground rod.
Any thoughts on all :001_huh:this?

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Here's a little story.

Client of mine has repetitive problems with her electronics burning up
So we had the power company check the transformer and all checked out okay on their side.

So inside I checked both legs of the panel with my clamp-on ammeter while running her dryer and also a few other small lighting circuits too, and on L1 I got around 25A and and L2 I got around 35A. Normal yes, but checking the neutral I got around 6A and checking the system ground I got 4A. The neutral and the system ground are tied together at the main disconnect as they're supposed be and the distance from the panel is roughly 25'. So I figure I'm getting some residual reading but these reading are very high to me.

Also, I turned off the main disconnect, and while no power in the house I was still reading 1A on the system ground. Weird case. She only has one ground rod and it is connected properly. I added a inline surge arrester breaker and was considering driving an additional ground rod.
Any thoughts on all :001_huh:this?
Bad neutral

·
Registered
132 Posts
IS it overhead service? If so it could be there. I had one very similar and the ground wire from the pole was being held together with only the steel wire that is in it. The poco changed out the line and it never happened again.

Also had an underground service where the ground had turned to powder in one spot. Same thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.