Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was there ever a time, say decades ago, where it was legal to simply not connect the ground to switches? For example, say in a residential bedroom wired with romex, plastic boxes, and plastic cover plates.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
And even though we were on the 99' code when I first started , they didn't begin enforcing it until like 2000 around here.
Funny you say that...I was walking around in a new home that was just wired the other day, and i noticed they were still pulling dead-end 3 ways. This was in a neighborhood of a tough inspector.

Are they enforcing neutrals in all switch boxes in your area? I started pulling my 3 ways differently when we went on the '11 code.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone being called on it.

I try to avoid dead end 3 ways myself but sometimes one gets wired that way.

Want to see something funny? Walk into a supply house and ask for some 14/4 or 14/2/2.
They'll look at you like you have 2 heads.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone being called on it.

I try to avoid dead end 3 ways myself but sometimes one gets wired that way.

Want to see something funny? Walk into a supply house and ask for some 14/4 or 14/2/2.
They'll look at you like you have 2 heads.
:laughing: I know, but some guys on here act like you can just go down to your nearest Wal-Mart and pick it up off the shelf.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I started wiring mine so I have a neutral at each switch. I seen a house the other day that passed which has several dead end 3 ways.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
:laughing: I know, but some guys on here act like you can just go down to your nearest Wal-Mart and pick it up off the shelf.
I think they're stocking it at our local Menards. Why not just feed the power to switch #1, 14-3 to switch #2, 14-2 to ceiling fixture?

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
I started wiring mine so I have a neutral at each switch. I seen a house the other day that passed which has several dead end 3 ways.
I prefer to pull dead end 3 ways. But unless the inspectors dont enforce this code change, I'd rather just pass the inspection and not chance it.

·
Registered
988 Posts
MHElectric said:
Thats the only way to do it now.
Gonna change anyway in the 2014 code. At least regarding 3way and 4ways.

Revision/New: 404.2(C) Grounded Conductor at Switches Controlling Lighting Loads.

Requirements and exceptions for the grounded conductor at switching locations have been revised into positive text and rearranged into a list format. This subsection and the exception were revised for the 2014 NECto incorporate the exception (with two conditions) into positive text and to arrange the conditions to which a grounded conductor would not be required at the switch location into a simpler-to-use list format. Five new conditions were added along with the existing two conditions described in the previous exception. Some of these locations that are now incorporated into 404.2(C) included switch locations that do not serve a habitable room or bathroom, such as a closet light switch or a door-jam switch, where an occupancy sensor or other electronic device is highly unlikely to be installed. A room or area where two 3-way and/or 4-way switches are installed to serve the same area is another location where a grounded conductor is not required at every one of these switch locations.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts