Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
11,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested to know when the first grounding type receptacles were placed on the market. I understand that the code required them in the laundry area of a residence in the 50s I think. But when was the first one actually manufactured?

I have a short timeline in the book "Old Electrical Wiring" that mentions they were beginning to appear in industrial locals in the 30s if I recall correctly.

Anyone have some more detailed nfo?

Thanks

InPhase

·
Banned
11,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! There is alot of cool stuff on that website. But alas, mostly dealing with lamp sockets. Anymore on recepts anywhere? Don't know why, but this historical stuff is just fascinating. I would like to nail down just when the first grounding type receptacles hit the market.

I was watching the Brady Bunch the other day and noticed that the outlets on the counter in the kitchen were grounding, this got me wondering.

InPhase277

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
I was watching the Brady Bunch the other day and noticed that the outlets on the counter in the kitchen were grounding, this got me wondering.

InPhase277
This just strikes me as funny... :laughing:

It's bad enough when we check out the electric installs in real life, but checking stuff out on TV...

Of course, now I will do it too... :whistling2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
"It's bad enough when we check out the electric installs in real life, but checking stuff out on TV... "

That isn't normal? :001_huh:

Slightly OT
I recieved a post card ad for Geico ins.,the other day, showing the gecko standing in a kitchen. First thing I noticed was the BS1363 outlets on the wall. Thought to myself: "Hey, that kitchen must be in Britain"

Hmm, I must be sick :laughing:

·
Registered
10,633 Posts
"It's bad enough when we check out the electric installs in real life, but checking stuff out on TV... "

That isn't normal? :001_huh:

Slightly OT
I recieved a post card ad for Geico ins.,the other day, showing the gecko standing in a kitchen. First thing I noticed was the BS1363 outlets on the wall. Thought to myself: "Hey, that kitchen must be in Britain"

Hmm, I must be sick :laughing:
You're not sick, I got the same ad and noticed the same thing. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
You all are down with the sickness. You don't know (or probably do) how many times my wife will catch me looking up at the ceiling everywhere we go checking out the electrical work.

It drives me nuts when things aren't centered up or aren't level. If I can easily reach it I'll even try to level it up. There's not a crooked picture in my house.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
A few homes I have wired have ended up as features in various magazines. What I find interesting is my work is either covered up, or completely missing.

As I look at the photos, I say to myself, "I just know there's a switch there, and where did that light fixture go????"

I came to the conclusion that they are digitally edited out, being 'distractive' and all....:censored:

·
Registered
5 Posts
wireman2

Thanks for the reply! There is alot of cool stuff on that website. But alas, mostly dealing with lamp sockets. Anymore on recepts anywhere? Don't know why, but this historical stuff is just fascinating. I would like to nail down just when the first grounding type receptacles hit the market.

InPhase277

Brady Bunch show was post grounding era you shold be looking at Leave It To Beaver

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.