Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Texas at relatives and looking at their electrical. The first picture is the ground trany/meter. Three wires coming from the Meter enclosure. Bonded ground/neutral at the right hand disco. Four wires to panel at the side of house. That panel is not bonded. No ground rods at either location. The is a ground wire going from one of the panels at the house(far right) but that is not connected to the other house panel.

What do you think.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Everything sounds OK to me. Screw dem ground rods. The transformer has the important one. :whistling2:

·
Registered
13,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
8V71 said:
Everything sounds OK to me. Screw dem ground rods. The transformer has the important one. :whistling2:
But the panels aren't bonded to the meter enclosure.

·
Registered
13,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
8V71 said:
And when you said that the panel at the house isn't bonded I thought you meant the ground/neutral, not the enclosure itself. It sounds odd to me.
There is no grounds at the trany, meter enclosure or the panels at each side of the meter. Four wire from those discos to the panels at the house. No grounds at the two left hand panels. One ground at the right hand house panel that looks like it's a Uffer. But no connection from there to the other panels at the house.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
I agree that the grounding doesn't seem correct and I also have to wonder how they were permitted 2 feeders to the dwelling. 225.30

Pete

·
Registered
13,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Pete m. said:
I agree that the grounding doesn't seem correct and I also have to wonder how they were permitted 2 feeders to the dwelling. 225.30 Pete
Those are split into mostly 240 stuff in the right panel, stove, cooktop, steam oven and two AC units. The left panel is everything else. The middle panel is the transfer switch that feeds the left panel. I don't know Texas rules in the service area. I would feed 320 amp service to a disco at the house and split from there. They have a separate service at a shop building on the property that is fed the same way. 320 amp meter enclosure and two 200 amp panels on each side feeding the shop building.

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
That whole exposed panel setup with the meter on strut wouldn't fly here (looks too commercial) At least a column or pedestal enclosure with distribution at the house.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
I'm in Texas at relatives and looking at their electrical. The first picture is the ground trany/meter. Three wires coming from the Meter enclosure. Bonded ground/neutral at the right hand disco. Four wires to panel at the side of house. That panel is not bonded. No ground rods at either location. The is a ground wire going from one of the panels at the house(far right) but that is not connected to the other house panel.

View attachment 35935

View attachment 35936

View attachment 35937

What do you think.
I am excited to see unistrut in someone's back yard for a change...that's great. Another thing I would mention is that a grounding rod/electrode is necessary...everywhere. Some AHJ's say "at the meter", I say it does not matter as long as it is at the primary disconnect. Some schools of thought is that the farther outside of the premises...the better, and it makes sense in the event of a lightning strike. Also, if at least one of the supporting posts is galvanized and at least eight feet into the earth...and the system is attached to it with an appropriate grounding attachment to the NEUTRAL, all is good..

·
Registered
13,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RIVETER said:
I am excited to see unistrut in someone's back yard for a change...that's great. Another thing I would mention is that a grounding rod/electrode is necessary...everywhere. Some AHJ's say "at the meter", I say it does not matter as long as it is at the primary disconnect. Some schools of thought is that the farther outside of the premises...the better, and it makes sense in the event of a lightning strike. Also, if at least one of the supporting posts is galvanized and at least eight feet into the earth...and the system is attached to it with an appropriate grounding attachment to the NEUTRAL, all is good..
The ground there is rock so I would say the struts aren't very deep. I would feel better if "all" the panel grounds were connected. The house has been in place since 2010, so it will be ok for now.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
The ground there is rock so I would say the struts aren't very deep. I would feel better if "all" the panel grounds were connected. The house has been in place since 2010, so it will be ok for now.
Are you saying that if a strike has not occurred since 2010 all rods can be pulled out...everywhere? .....Just asking.

·
Registered
13,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RIVETER said:
Are you saying that if a strike has not occurred since 2010 all rods can be pulled out...everywhere? .....Just asking.
No, I'm saying I'm on vacation here since Tuesday and have fixed one AC system and the backup generator so far. With a conduit run for lighting in the shop tomorrow and leaving Saturday morning. It will have to wait for my next vacation.

The generator has run one hour since the contractor installed it in 2011. The HO had it shut off. I troubleshoot it and figured out the gas was messed up. Called the factory and found out they never slid the NG/LP selector in the carb to LP. So the thing had never worked. And they had called the company to come back out to check it but they wanted $200 per hour to troubleshoot it.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
If that round green thing under the ATS is a well head, it's probably your best premis ground , short of that Ufer Backstay.....~CS~

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
From the pics it looks like a nice install and it baffles me why none of the enclosures are bonded. Were you able to look inside of the transformer lid for a ground rod? If the POCO didn't install one that might be a clue to the rest of the oddness but it doesn't seem right at all.

Vacation :laughing: I'm so feeling the sarcasm.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
It does indeed look neat, but my first impression (w/o reading Tx) was the meter wouldn't be read until April.....:whistling2::jester:

~CS~

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
No, I'm saying I'm on vacation here since Tuesday and have fixed one AC system and the backup generator so far. With a conduit run for lighting in the shop tomorrow and leaving Saturday morning. It will have to wait for my next vacation.
YO! Just sayin
va·ca·tion [vey-key-shuhn, vuh-]
noun
1. a period of suspension of work, study, or other activity, usually used for rest, recreation, or travel;
:laughing:

Just playing around backstay. :)

Reactions: backstay

·
Registered
13,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm not going under the transformer cover. I just don't see a single ground rod here. I will tap off the ground wire on the right panel at the house and land it in the left panel. But that will have to wait for me to bring my crimpers. And yes I'm on vacation, but would be bored out of my mind if I didn't bring some hand tools with. Here's a shot of the house.

Some of the wild life.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts