Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question regarding the Philips Bodine GTD20A. I am installing several of these at the job site I am currently working at and am doing so according to diagram A here: http://www.bodine.com/downloads/specs/GTD20A.spec.(std).L4100020.pdf

My question is if I am coming out of the gtd with an MC cable whip directly to the light fixture (load), why does the gtd override the switch and make the fixtures stay on regardless of the switch being open or closed? :001_huh:

Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. The lights simply stay on all the time unless the breaker is turned off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. There is an emergency power source available and it is wired according to the diagram. However, it is not even turned on while we're testing these things.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It makes sense--in theory. Why the lights will not switch on and off does not, however.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
The lights will drop out for a second until that genny gets up to speed but when that board sees the loss of AC power there's probably a relay that's got DC power run through an AC powered relay. No AC power, drops out relay. Close DC circuit and starts the genny. Somethin of that nature.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Because you mis-wired the t2 side
I have a joint made from the normal power hot: 18 AWG wire going to 1 (on T2) and a 12 AWG pigtail going to 3 (on T1). Neutral is also according to diagram. Jumpers from 1 on T1 to 4 on T2 is made as well as 5 on T1 to 4 on T2...suggestions?

·
Registered
395 Posts
DCF said:
I have a joint made from the normal power hot: 18 AWG wire going to 1 (on T2) and a 12 AWG pigtail going to 3 (on T1). Neutral is also according to diagram. Jumpers from 1 on T1 to 4 on T2 is made as well as 5 on T1 to 4 on T2...suggestions?
Bud it's 1-3 5-4

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The lights will drop out for a second until that genny gets up to speed but when that board sees the loss of AC power there's probably a relay that's got DC power run through an AC powered relay. No AC power, drops out relay. Close DC circuit and starts the genny. Somethin of that nature.
I think I'm miscommunicating. The generator/emergency power is not the issue. The switch should work regardless of whether or not the e-power is on or available or not. It does happen to be available and when I cut the normal power it does kick on--so that's good.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts

I don't think that's what it does.:laughing:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts