Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to rewire a 2nd fl apt. I want to land 3 5" boxes in the attic and drop tails to each outlet. I figured less wire and time to do it this way. I think its hackish , normally I run from device to device.

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
I need to rewire a 2nd fl apt. I want to land 3 5" boxes in the attic and drop tails to each outlet. I figured less wire and time to do it this way. I think its hackish , normally I run from device to device.
That makes no sense at all. Why would it be hack? :blink:

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Works for me . Junction boxes are easily visible?
This is hackish ! Pieces if crap
Yes, those are awful. I bought some for shower lights and returned them before I even installed them because the clamping device is the worst design ever. I went with Halo's instead.

·
Estwing magic
26,422 Posts
I hate those 3" contractor pack you can buy at the Depot. The ones with the small JB on top and the tiny screw to hold it onto the can....just awful.
You just have to know how to put them in. I use them for cabinet and niche lights. Good and cheap. Money in the bank.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
99cents said:
You just have to know how to put them in. I use them for cabinet and niche lights. Good and cheap. Money in the bank.
I disagree!!
They are built to be used on one thickness of ceiling anything past 5/8" is a struggle.
Cheap maybe but that's all they are worth.
I usually won't install this stuff because of problems in the past with HD bulk crap packs.
But HO dropped these in my lap and I just wanted to get done and paid.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I installed them in my mothers basement a few years back and ended up changing the lamps once every few months. Finally got fed up and bought ones from the supply house and didn't have a problem with them since. They are cheap garbage. Also The thermals always go off in them...could lead to the problem of the ever changing lamps.

·
Registered
880 Posts

I don't consider that hack at all, we do it a lot in re-wires where it's tough enough to get one cable to a box let alone two. We mount the boxes at a comfortable working height and make it all look real pretty. Sometimes in a really low attic we mount our j boxes near the scuttle hole and fish everything to that location for easy make up. We use 4 squares though, what is a 5" box?

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I installed them in my mothers basement a few years back and ended up changing the lamps once every few months. Finally got fed up and bought ones from the supply house and didn't have a problem with them since. They are cheap garbage. Also The thermals always go off in them...could lead to the problem of the ever changing lamps.
My biggest problem with those has always been that the sockets often get cooked within 3 months.

As for Shockdoc's plan - seems legit!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Nothing "hackish" about something that is practical, to code, time-saving and neat.

It's "brutish" when you start hacking up walls when you don't have to.

·
Registered
7,881 Posts

If the attic is huge (tall), mount the boxes where they can easily be seen and you are golden.

If the attic is more of a crawl space, instead of burying them under blown in insulation, make them smokies so the splices are easily accessible from below and won't get cooked from a light fixture.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Problem is it's not a comfortable working attic. It's a flat roof over a framed ceiling. It starts at 3' and drops to 1' at the back end. I need to roll in order to get around in it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.