Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Not even close to being hack. Geez, I got my hopes all up too. I was thinking we were in for a real goodie.

In order to start a "is this hack" thread, you need to have something really good like a toothpaste cap as a wire nut or something. What you've got is completely legal, and it doesnt ruffle anybody's feathers either. You'll know you've posted a good one when half of these guys come unwound like a yo-yo and start calling you a scumbag and a disgrace to electricians. This is what you want to aim for. :thumbup:

·
332 Posts
I use those on smoke alarms (since the wires on the smoke alarm pigtail are soldered) and in under cabinet lights (once again soldered connections) and of course use the ones that come pre-installed in recessed lights. I've even tried a test on them in loaded conditions, and they seem to perform well. However, I cannot make myself use them instead of wire nuts. Hack?...not really. As good as a pre-twisted set of three #12's?...not even remotely close. Cost vs. a wire nut...again not even close. In reference to the OP... Not hack, just not my 1st 2nd or 3rd choice method.

·
Estwing magic
27,706 Posts
I use four port Wagos. It's easier to push the wire into the square configuration than the Ideals. If I have more than four wires I use one of those things where you twist the wires together; I can't remember what you call them right now. I think you can still buy them at those electrical houses that sell old surplus junk.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.