Electrician Talk banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Customer's daughter purchased this home last year. They had a home inspection done prior to purchase. Had the electric heat replaced and a central air unit installed last August. I was called out to inspect the electrical to find out why the utility bill was $600 - $800 over the last 2 months.

Main Panel.

WP_20150206_005 by aftershock465, on Flickr

Sub panel in kitchen.

WP_20150206_003 by aftershock465, on Flickr

Heater.

WP_20150206_014 by aftershock465, on Flickr

WP_20150206_012 by aftershock465, on Flickr

WP_20150206_008 by aftershock465, on Flickr

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
Customer's daughter purchased this home last year. They had a home inspection done prior to purchase. Had the electric heat replaced and a central air unit installed last August. I was called out to inspect the electrical to find out why the utility bill was $600 - $800 over the last 2 months.
Electric heat running constantly?

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Electric heat running constantly?
That is the only thing I can figure. She states that she hardly runs it but I doubt that is entirely true. When it is running, I show 64 amps on my meter. She claims that it does not really heat up the house and she runs it manually.

The sticker on the heat strips shows 15Kw with 2 60 amp breakers and fed with 1 #6 circuit.

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
That is the only thing I can figure. She states that she hardly runs it but I doubt that is entirely true. When it is running, I show 64 amps on my meter. She claims that it does not really heat up the house and she runs it manually.

The sticker on the heat strips shows 15Kw with 2 60 amp breakers and fed with 1 #6 circuit.
Hmmm. Here's one thing you might want to check. This happened to me once with a gas furnace. The heat and A/C were both running at the same time, effectively canceling the heat out. The very same thing could be happening in your situation. In my case, it turned out to be a defective changeover switch in the thermostat.

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Hmmm. Here's one thing you might want to check. This happened to me once with a gas furnace. The heat and A/C were both running at the same time, effectively canceling the heat out. The very same thing could be happening in your situation. In my case, it turned out to be a defective changeover switch in the thermostat.
Possible. I did not notice the condenser running while we had the heat going.
Water heater is gas, so that was ruled out.

What I do not get is, they had a home inspection but no electrical issues were cited.:blink:
The sub panel in the kitchen was never opened since I had to score the edge of the lid because it was mudded into place.
I just sent some photos to the father with a list of issues I spotted that need to be corrected. I am hoping they can push some of this back on the realtor but I don't know. The HI should have cited something so that they could have had an EC come out and do an inspection.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I followed a HI who wrote an 85 page report. He wrote up two wires under a breaker but missed no water main bond. Wires so loose the insulation was melted. My fav is the HI who tell the HO that the tinned copper Bx is AL wiring.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts