Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The vape shop (glorified e cig) I frequent asked me for a price to install 8 pendant lights over there sales counter. My buddy works there so I always get a discount on everything so I gave the owner a killer price in my book. He looked shocked at the price. Anyways he didn't call. I go in a few weeks later and see a guy installing the lights. It took everything in me not to say anything or crack up. This dude is standing on the top of his 6' aluminum ladder with a roll of 14/2. He then drills a hole in the corner of the metal grid where the two meet. Pulls out some self tappers and screws the fixture bracket to the grid, drops the 14/2 through the hole in the grid and the bracket and mounts the lights. HAHA I love when people tell me my prices are to high and then I see stuff like this.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Sucks losing jobs that you bid at good prices. Really sucks walking in on the guy who beat your price on that job. Ive had it happen to me.

One quick thought - a hack method is only when it isn't code compliant. A low-cost install, no matter how bare bones it may be, is still a job well done. Remember that. Some jobs are just like that, not much of a budget, need it done and on the cheap. Keep an open mind to different ways to knock out a code minimum job, this will help you to be more competitive without negotiating on your profit.

Dont compete on prices, compete with installation methods.

Reactions: MTW

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah they aren't disposable. You can rebuild the coil and adjust the ohms to change how it hits. It got me off the Skoal. I mean I bet I was spending 2000-2500 a year on chew. It's not a bad investment to get off tobacco.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sucks losing jobs that you bid at good prices. Really sucks walking in on the guy who beat your price on that job. Ive had it happen to me.

One quick thought - a hack method is only when it isn't code compliant. A low-cost install, no matter how bare bones it may be, is still a job well done. Remember that. Some jobs are just like that, not much of a budget, need it done and on the cheap. Keep an open mind to different ways to knock out a code minimum job, this will help you to be more competitive without negotiating on your profit.

Dont compete on prices, compete with installation methods.
I don't know if what I described this guy doing is code compliant where ur at but as far as I know NM is not allowed in a suspended ceiling in a non-dwelling space. Light fixtures require a box. So IMO that would constitute hack work "Non code compliant".

Sry just realized I never said romex in the OP.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I don't know if what I described this guy doing is code compliant where ur at but as far as I know NM is not allowed in a suspended ceiling in a non-dwelling space. Light fixtures require a box. So IMO that would constitute hack work A"Non code compliant".

Sry just realized I never said romex in the OP.
I didn't catch that it was Romex, only that you said 14/2, and if its a fluorescent fixture, more than likely this is completely legal - he's using the fixture as a j-box and daisy chaining.

Regardless, my post was aimed at theres 100 ways to skin a cat, some are cheaper some are not. Just Something to think about for the next one.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
The vape shop (glorified e cig) I frequent asked me for a price to install 8 pendant lights over there sales counter. My buddy works there so I always get a discount on everything so I gave the owner a killer price in my book. He looked shocked at the price. Anyways he didn't call. I go in a few weeks later and see a guy installing the lights. It took everything in me not to say anything or crack up. This dude is standing on the top of his 6' aluminum ladder with a roll of 14/2. He then drills a hole in the corner of the metal grid where the two meet. Pulls out some self tappers and screws the fixture bracket to the grid, drops the 14/2 through the hole in the grid and the bracket and mounts the lights. HAHA I love when people tell me my prices are to high and then I see stuff like this.
Sit back and wait for the fire. The vapors will turn to smoke.

·
Who you gonna call?
1,177 Posts
MHElectric said:
I didn't catch that it was Romex, only that you said 14/2, and if its a fluorescent fixture, more than likely this is completely legal - he's using the fixture as a j-box and daisy chaining. Regardless, my post was aimed at theres 100 ways to skin a cat, some are cheaper some are not. Just Something to think about for the next one.
It's a pendant nota flourescent strip light.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
My thoughts are I wouldn't want this person for a customer. You can't get upset about it so move on as quickly as possible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts