Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
13,020 Posts
I must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

1) First stop was a service call at the funeral home. Showed up, they told me their ash grinder wasn't working. Went to troubleshoot, found a bad timer switch. Had to take the control panel apart to get to it but it was so full of dead people dust that when I took the lid off it dumped all over me.

2) Second stop was the Coast Guard air station at the Newport airport. I recently replaced a rusted out control panel on the fuel pump, but there were a few more issues I needed to deal with (rusted out sensors, busted wiring, etc). I was poking around in the little pump room checking out the conduits and wiring, and it was very tight quarters. Wound up tripping over a bucket of jet fuel and dousing my shoe in it. So my shoe smells like kerosene now.

3) Got a cut right on my knuckle somehow. One of the real small, paper cut kind of wounds that stings like a bitch.

4) Had to go down to the shrimp plant to troubleshoot their metal detector. It seemingly goes off for no reason. So I spent half the afternoon tromping my kerosene-soaked, dead body covered, bloody self through shrimp guts and brine water. I wound up getting home and just getting undressed in the garage before I even attempted to got inside.

·
13,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A bucket of jet fuel?
Yeah this fuel pump/tank thing is in the process of being repaired and upgraded up to their current spec. It's been sitting there rusting away for years. They recently sandblasted and repainted the whole thing, there is some work to do on the venting, plumbing, hoses, electrical, etc. The bucket was there catching drips from a leaky valve or something.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Yeah this fuel pump/tank thing is in the process of being repaired and upgraded up to their current spec. It's been sitting there rusting away for years. They recently sandblasted and repainted the whole thing, there is some work to do on the venting, plumbing, hoses, electrical, etc. The bucket was there catching drips from a leaky valve or something.
I see. Sounds like a miserable day.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Awesome. :laughing:

I was working in an attic most of yesterday that must have been 114 degrees and soooper humid, and whenever I went down to the main floor getting reno'd I would go around and ask people if I could borrow a sweatshirt since I was getting cold up there, as sweat wad running off of me. Everyone just told me I was a lunatic for working up there, and I didn't get a single high five or a sweatshirt. :(

·
Estwing magic
26,355 Posts
I electrocuted my nose a couple of weeks ago but that's nothing compared to your bad day :) .

·
13,020 Posts
This explains so much about supply-house counter guys. .

The other day I went in there looking for a breaker.

"I need a 3-pole 20 amp Eaton BAB breaker."

The guy goes out and comes back with a 2-pole 20 amp.

"No, I need a 3-pole."

"Oh my bad." Then he comes back a regular BR style 3-pole 20.

"No dude, the bolt to bus one. Jesus ****ing Christ."

He finally got it right but geez.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
I usually follow the guy back and help. Most guys at Walters here in the west coast are as smart as they are quick and eager to help you.

When's lunch?

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Yeah that's the god damned truth.

The other day I went in there looking for a breaker.

"I need a 3-pole 20 amp Eaton BAB breaker."

The guy goes out and comes back with a 2-pole 20 amp.

"No, I need a 3-pole."

"Oh my bad." Then he comes back a regular BR style 3-pole 20.

"No dude, the bolt to bus one. Jesus ****ing Christ."

He finally got it right but geez.
I had a guy spend 5 minutes looking up part numbers for the steel city boxes they sell. I ended up taking out my phone, downloading the catalog, and reading the part numbers to him. Real toughies like 3 1/2" deep switch boxes with mc clamps (cx), 1/2 and 3/4" 1 gang plaster rings, and 4 11/16 boxes with 1/2 and 3/4" knockouts. The worst part was his manager was sitting at a desk behind him making cold calls. Plus, to add insult to injury, the SOB counter guy was wearing god damn sweatpants, and wore the same pair the next day!

In the words of Big John, "Morons...everywhere"

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Awesome. :laughing:

I was working in an attic most of yesterday that must have been 114 degrees and soooper humid, and whenever I went down to the main floor getting reno'd I would go around and ask people if I could borrow a sweatshirt since I was getting cold up there, as sweat wad running off of me. Everyone just told me I was a lunatic for working up there, and I didn't get a single high five or a sweatshirt. :(
Have you ever removed a cover off of an air handler in a hot attic? It cools the attic off real quick!:laughing:

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I just say I'm gonna go pick my own stock and start walking around until someone yells at me.

I don't care if I've never been here before, I can still do a better job than you, go back to licking the remains of Aunt Bethany.
That's what I do when I can't get waited on at Home Depot...get on a ladder and start pulling stock out of the overhead.

Then I get all the "help" I need:laughing:

·
Fond of three phase
1,649 Posts
Dead people dust...

LOL, but ugh...
Let's hear some more cremation oven and ash grinder entries.
I'm still thinking about the morbidly obese body fire, that burned up the wiring in the oven.
That thing must've glowing red, from the out-of-control fire. :laughing:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts